addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › GROWING POTATOES WITH LITTLE SPACE?

GROWING POTATOES WITH LITTLE SPACE?

A former member
Post #: 4
Hello There,

Can someone give me some helpful advice on how to grow potatoes vertically to allow saving space by stacking?
Or another creative container method? We live in Gray. We have very sandy soil, and the soil we do have is in the woods riddled with roots, rich but hard to dig.

I have heard of people stackin tires before but I do not want to use tires for earth friendly reasons and it looks really bad. I was curious if this method really works also and how the potatoes grow if they are stacked and have no way for the greens to come out the sides and get light?

Any helpful tips?

Thanks,

Jen
Gray, Maine
Sandra J.
user 77197852
Gorham, ME
Post #: 2
Here is an article from Organic Gardening describing a number of different ways to grow potatoes, some of them not requiring digging into the earth: http://www.organicgar...­. Good luck,
Sandi Jensen
Gorham, Maine
Gretchen V.
user 15215051
Oxford, ME
Post #: 5
Hi Jen! We have been growing potatoes in rabbit wire tunnels with compost as a base .I have since been packing straw around the sides and on top of the plants as they grow. They look great! We also have another bed companion planted out with peas( transitioning to pole beans), horseradish and potatoes.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 602
We're trying hemp coffee bean bags for potatoes. 3 spuds per bag. As the potatoes grow, unroll the bags a bit and add more compost. So far it seems to be working well...only harvest time will say for sure, though.