addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Housing options for sustainably-conscious down-sizers

Housing options for sustainably-conscious down-sizers

Terri E.
user 68401762
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 1
May be further down-sizing in Portland area, considering options. Have been pres of 10 unit clustered condo turned house-a-minium (overseeing sensitive transition of legal docs, negotiating assessments, association meetings expressing the range of human emotions), read books on and visited cohousing neighborhoods, followed the Belfast ME cohousing's progress (permaculture-friendly Passive House-certified Go Logic homes: http://www.gologic.us...­, noted articles in Yes Magazine about clustered neighborhoods, and my grandparents lived in the artsy experimental community of Arden in Delaware. No doubt the answer lies in a middle way, exhibiting some of the strengths of each of the above, minimizing weaknesses...getting right the delicate balance of community vs respect for privacy, collaboration vs personal responsibility. Many cohousing developers share these same goals, yet fail. Would love to see a small clustered neighborhood like this realize in the Scarborough/CE area, perhaps on the old Benjamin Farm property or similar, ideally in arrangement with a land trust. No one property can satisfy everyone, but would love to learn of anything in the works locally.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 955
Is downsizing that is real expensive really downsizing?

David
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,332
I think how each person or household defines downsizing is probably specific to their goals. They may want a small, but more well built house. They may want less property, but live in a structure that requires a minimum of fuel to heat. Etc. As with any "plan" or design, articulating goals and definitions is probably and important first step. For some people, money will be part of that, but maybe not for all people.
Terri E.
user 68401762
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 2
That's a good question, David, and I also appreciate Lisa's comments. I currently live in a so-called starter cape, which seems too big for us now that the kids have grown. And I think the Belfast co-housing home by GoLogic were more affordable than I thought, though that company also builds high-enders. I suppose it's all relative for each person. But you've both given me wonderful food for thought, much appreciate your wisdom!
Gretchen V.
user 15215051
Oxford, ME
Post #: 7
I think Francoise Paradis( on this Meetup) in Buxton would be a great person to talk with. She has been working to build a co-housing community there.