addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Sodium Bentonite/PondSeal

Sodium Bentonite/PondSeal

Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 29
We are wondering if anybody knows of a place we could find either sodium bentonite or pond seal (the bentonite surrounding limestone). It seems pretty cheap everywhere online....its just the shipping that is way expensive. Any help would be great!
A former member
Post #: 128
Try Portland Pottery(800-539-4301). Bentonite is a common ingredient in ceramics. Be sure to explain what you will use it for. Their catalog shows: $.41/lb 500lb, .40/1000lb, .38/2000lb. I don't know how that compares with other prices.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,341
I think Corey from Portland Pottery is a recently joined meetup member, too.
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 30
Thanks Rael! I'm going to pick up 100 pounds right now.
A former member
Post #: 129
Finally, my MFA in ceramics served some useful purpose. smile
Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 95
I'm curious about how bentonite would be applied to make a pond sealant...I've got some that I've used in my own ceramic work as a clay and glaze ingredient(from Portland Pottery). It has some very interesting properties-when a small amount is mixed with water it forms a gel(which is useful for keeping glaze materials in suspension), and as a clay ingredient it gives the claybody better plasticity. But no experience with it as a pond liner, or using it on its own... so please keep us informed about your results! Thanks and good luck, Jesse
Jesse M.
user 25646832
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 31
I will keep you informed. Though you can also follow the progress on the facebook page for the blitz. (The Libby Permablitz) As I understand it, you incorporate it into the soil, then tamp it down. Once it begins to absorb moisture, it expands to 15-18 times its size! There will be more detail on the facebook page up until and including the date of the Permablitz.
A former member
Post #: 37
Hi Guys,
Another source of sodium bentonite, besides pottery suppliers, are well drillers. They use this stuff by the ton when drilling a well. Give one a call and they'll probably give you a really good price.

Check out Wikipedia: Bentonite: http://en.wikipedia.o...­

Peace,
Dennis