addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 1
So, we're thinking of moving. Brock works in Rochester, NH, and since I'm now a SAHM, it seems silly to be living in Saco.

But, now what?! Ideally, I'd love to buy land and go all out - LEED house, solar, wind, big gardens to grow food....but not sure what is practical.

Any suggestions from you? Can we retrofit? I didn't make it to the meeting in Gorham to see the LEED certified house, but wish I did. Was that a new build? How much did it cost?

I'm trying to collect info now...and convince my husband to go along with it. $$ is always a concern, now that we're on one income.

Also, feel free to email me directly, as I always forget to check this board.

Thanks!!!

mary
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 217
Hi Mary! Lots to consider!

A super-efficient, LEED-certified home is of course a wonderful option. There is a misconception that LEED has to be really expensive. In my opinion, it just happens to be the case that people spending quite a bit of money were some of the first to specify these homes...i.e. they were probably going to build a fairly expensive home anyway. However, affordable LEED home designs are now becoming quite a bit more common. There is even a Habitat for Humanity home here that is LEED Certified (or is in the process of becoming so). If you go this route, there are a number of architects and builders that are now LEED "accredited professionals" and it wouldn't hurt to chat with a few. Let me know if you need names.

On the other hand....I'm a big proponent of doing a green remodel - AND shopping for an existing home with the best possible potential for a green remodel (aspect to the sun, footprint, efficiency, etc.) Someone once told me that "the greenest house is the one you don't build."

So there's merit in both paths...whatever you choose, it probably makes sense to have a permaculture design done early on, even if it's just preliminary, to help make sense of the potential for what you have.

I should ask David Whitten to chime in here. After all, he's the real estate guy and the green building aficionado....Dave?
Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 2
Lisa, if you do have some names, I'd love to have a few leads! And David...any suggestions? I"m guessing you'd be out of your area down in NH, but maybe you have some contacts?

mary
David W.
user 2670503
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 1
Hi Mary,

Well I don't have a NH contact but I am meeting with a Portland builder friend of mine and I'll ask him if he has any good referrals for the Seacoast area. Also, feel free to give me a ring and we can talk about your plans. The USGBC site lists professionals in your area but I am not familiar with them....you could try that as well.

Best!

David
Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 3
David,

Are you going to be at the Feburary meeting? Perhaps we could chat for a few minutes there.

mary
Mary
marygee
South Berwick, ME
Post #: 4
Ok, so I tried navigating the USGBC site, but didn't get anywhere. Could one of you tell me how to go about finding a LEED certified builder/designer on that web site?

Thanks

mary
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 249
They recently launched their new web site which, sadly, does make it harder to find that kind of info. But it is there....

If you go to the searchable member directory, for example, and search "contractors & builders" for the state of ME then you will get a reasonable list. Same for architects, etc.

http://www.usgbc.org/...­

You can also look at the member directory for the Maine chapter:
http://www.maineusgbc...­

Or the NH chapter, except...ooops, they don't have one!