addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Companion planting with mushrooms-new discovery

Companion planting with mushrooms-new discovery

Jesse S.
user 29709632
Harrison, ME
Post #: 126
Winecap stropharia have been fruiting regularly under apple trees I mulched with fresh hardwood chips, and also in the gardens where I used chips in the paths. Wish I could take credit, but it just happened on its own.
Here's an interesting account of someone taking a more active role:

http://radicalmycolog...­
Greg M.
user 3541854
Acton, ME
Post #: 662
Thanks Jesse. Any idea if Nameko mushroom (Pholiota nameko) will survive long term here in Maine?
A former member
Post #: 51
That was inspiring Jesse. Thank you.
Tyler O.
TylerOmand
Greenbush, ME
Post #: 59
Awesome, I inoculated the wood chip mulch around the blueberries, aronias, peaches, pears, plums and apples in our northside mini orchard with fungi perfecti winecaps earlier this fall and I am hopeful for a bountiful harvest of winecaps this season. The plants seem happier already. On top of the existing layer of woody mulch I put some shovel fulls of granite dust around the perennials first then some of our homemade fungal compost than a layer of "pin" chips (hardwood chips that have been driven over by a bulldozer, crushing them a bit) than the winecap inoculated sawdust than another layer of pin chips. I left the base of the plants exposed and put a couple shovel fulls of 3/4" natural (uncrushed) stone around the base of the plants for good drainage around the stem/trunk.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,378
We had a massive bloom of stropharia show up at the edge of a farm field (south edge of some mixed woods) where we had made a wood chip border. Pounds of delicious and massive mushrooms in a sunny spot. I'm actively encouraging them now.
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,012
Stropharia transplants very easily. Just move those chips and rhizomorphs around to other chippy areas and they will grow. I'm seeing what 5 truckloads of chips will do this year. I'm not sure I saw a new discovery there. Obviously, different mushrooms will do different things but there are situational invisible things happening all the time.

I had bad luck with Stamets Stropharia as did a couple of others I know around here. You should be able to get something local and free. Ask your friends or check the chip piles at landscape suppliers. The rhizomorphs are white and stringy. It doesn't take much at all to get started. I think I started with a few chips in the bottom of a baggie.

Here is an excellent resource. I think you can do something like this even more simply.
http://www.alohacultu...­

This low tech cold pasteurizing process should be of interest. Straw, horticultural hydrated lime, soap, and cold water. Greater BE than boiling. Easy.
http://www.alohacultu...­

I am growing some Aloha products right now. See my FB pics. I will use the spent blocks outside asap. Prefer this company to Stamets by far.

David Spahr
A former member
Post #: 52
Does it have to be hardwood chips? Can one use softwood bark?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,013

Softwood bark may work for some species, but for Stropharia you need you chips to be predominantly hardwood. Mine ar mixed for sure but I have never used anything but what I could get from Asplundh or Lucas.

Chips from them can have very different composition based on where they cut but also by time of year. If you tip the driver then you are likely to get the hardwood. That said, in spring/summer chips will contain a lot of leaves. This is good because leaves get the pile cooking and some pasteurization may take place. In the fall chips will contain little or no leaves but possibly quite a few needles. If you try to manage or predict what will happen with your chips you can be disappointed. You will get a festival of volunteers, some good, some bad, and some things will not work. Mushrooms do not behave as predictably as plants. Ever.

If you want to get chips from these guys, tip them. Sure, they dump for free, but a lot of people want them. I give them $20 whenever they show. >$10 a ton is still a wicked good deal.

David
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 1,014
BTW, Wine caps (Stropharia rugosoannulata) has a white variant known as S. rugosoannulata var. alba. It may be found in wild or semi wild conditions. You might try looking at a local fairgrounds around the animal stalls in late spring/early summer. Just throw some of whatever they were growing in into a plastic bag and transplant.