addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Non-toxic smell absorber?

Non-toxic smell absorber?

Erin
user 10297075
Portland, ME
Post #: 13
Hi friends of non-harmful products:

My roommate and I are sensitive both to toxic substances (who isn't?) and to must/mold. We have a plush armchair that is markedly musty and are looking for something to remove the odor. Obviously, we are going to try baking soda but fear we might need something stronger. Any ideas, either for home remedies or safe products? We found something called "Smelleze" that claims to be totally safe and happy and eco-friendly and all the other great stuff. . . with no ingredients listed anywhere and no outside reviews. Hmmm.
Thanks for the tips!
-Erin
Kim H.
KimHa
Raymond, ME
Post #: 4
Hi Erin, I have used a mixture of rubbing alcohol, water (1 to 1 ratio) and tea tree oil (2 or 3drops per cup) and sprayed it on non washable fabric. Have also used vodka (esp if the rubbing alcohol smell bugs you). Test the spray on a section of the fabric that is out of sight first in case the mixture messes with the fabric. Have also used a bowl of coffee grounds to absorb odors (bowl set inside or under furniture for 24 hours). Hope this helps.
Debra
user 42149742
Dover, NH
Post #: 11
Hi Erin,
I've had some luck with kitty litter. Once we have warm weather and sun, I'd try setting the chair in the open air and sun for a few hours then, place the chair in a large plastic bag or box with kitty litter spread in a long open container under the chair and one in the chair. Close the bag up and keep the chair in the bag until all the odor is absorbed. You might need to change the litter depending on how bad it is but, this worked well for me.