addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Anyone Interested in a Permaculture Exchange with NYC?

Anyone Interested in a Permaculture Exchange with NYC?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 263
There is a really active Permaculture Meetup in the City and I've been chatting with their organizer (who has loads of Maine roots and connections) about perhaps doing a small exchange...

A group from ME could visit there and see what's happening with urban permaculture and get a bit of a city fix, if that's your thing. Then we could host a group from there. I'm envisioning 5-6 people from each side, but it depends on interest.

If you're interested, even in a vague preliminary sort of way, please post here or email me off-line so we can see if it's worth pursuing....

Cheers!
Lisa
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 35
Lisa, I'm up for an exchange along those lines. I'd need plenty of advance scheduling to get the time off from work. I might also be willing to host one of their members for a night or two as part of the exchange, especially if that would be a reciprocal thing as well.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 264
Great. Yes, the plan would probably be travel as a group by train or something, reciprocal housing and scheduled learning events + a bit of social time.
Sue M.
user 3284483
South Portland, ME
Post #: 17
I think it would be fascinating to see what is going on in the city. I'm interested in a little more than a vague, preliminary sort of way. Would like to see how it shakes out. I could host someone at my house also.
A former member
Post #: 60
Maybe me too but as spring/summer is the busiest time it really would depend on when. I could also host.

Winnie
Sean
smaley
Monroe, NY
Post #: 16
Sorry I didn't get onto this sooner. I just sent out a message to the NYC Permaculture meetup. I can't imagine nobody taking this offer up. I expect this to happen. Who gets the better deal would be quite a debate.

Please bear in mind, NYC is a gigantic city. I live and work in Manhattan, but I still commute an hour or more each direction to my day job. By far, the most Permaculture activity is in Brooklyn, which is actually a different growing zone (or two) than my home in Northern Manhattan.

The Summers here are extra hot, due to what's called the heat island effect. A Spring or Fall trip will be the best option for you, if we can manage it. It's not so bad under a few trees, but the pavement will be softening elsewhere.

The homes here, especially in Manhattan, are minuscule. This often means Permaculture advocates tend to be located at opposite ends of the city (two or more hours away from each other) for larger quarters, or live in a one/two room box where the fun stuff happens. On a time scale, it's like some of you living near Portland, while others live near Bangor, except Portland is where all the fun is found in your case.

The Subways run 24/7 and are identified with most letters of the alphabet and most numerical digits as well (number 9 was dropped; used to signify "skip" stops opposite the 1). Staten Island? You'll be taking a ferry past the Statue of Liberty to get there. Since NJ is tightly integrated with NYC, there may be interest from there as well. If you have a preferred location, you might say something. People out on Long Island and people from NJ both think they live in NYC. In these cases, they have a good point in terms of public transportation (PATH from NJ or commuter trains from Long Island).

Don't forget, Toby Hemenway and Larry Santoyo will be in town around the August and September time frame for a PDC in the Catskills, also featuring Dave Jacke. If anyone would like consideration for teaching a module at this course, you should contact me (or Toby at patternliteracy.com ). After all, they are coming from across the country for "cross pollinating" between Northeast Permies and the Permaculture Institute. If you see someone putting up flyers in Maine, it's probably my mom.
Sean
smaley
Monroe, NY
Post #: 17
We have a couple offers pending timing. Does anyone a specific time and number of people to request?

-Sean.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 280
Hi Sean - I was thinking that it might be nice to host the city folks up here during the weekend of the Common Ground Fair in September. We could have some Southern Maine activities then head north a bit more for the fair, which is really one-of-a-kind. It would still be nice weather here, plus harvest time, etc.

Maybe the Maine group come come your way either early Sept or in October...

Let's connect off line to disucuss more details.