addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › The Price of Food (in Maine and Elsewhere)

The Price of Food (in Maine and Elsewhere)

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 273
It's going to be an interesting year. Let's get those lawns turned into gardens. It's a start, anyway....

---------------
Farmers brace for fertilizer, diesel fuel costs
By Sharon Kiley Mack
Monday, March 17, 2008 - Bangor Daily News

PITTSFIELD, Maine - When it comes to this spring?s planting, Maine farmers are facing a double whammy: both the devil they know - increasing fertilizer costs - and the devil they don?t - rocketing fuel prices.

Farmers are watching diesel fuel prices carefully and have no way to predict where the gauge will stop when planting time arrives.

But higher fertilizer costs are something they are already paying. A ton of fertilizer that cost between $300 and $400 last spring will easily cost $1,000 this year ? that?s about $500 an acre for a vegetable farmer, a 300 percent increase.

"Another 25 to 30 cents higher on fuel or fertilizer and we?ll be in a crisis situation," Maine Department of Agriculture Commissioner Seth Bradstreet said.

"It?s bad. Very bad," Spencer Greatorex, a certified crop adviser with Northeast Ag & Feed Alliance in Detroit, said. "And I don?t see it changing a lot. I?d like to tell you that next year the prices will go back to normal, but I don?t know what?s normal any more."

----
Full article: http://bangornews.com...­
David H.
PostCarbonDesign
Oxford, ME
Post #: 284
if we stay on the same course...things are not going to get any better...I have been saying that alot lately!

-The most radical thing you can do nowadays is grow your own food!-
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 18
As if that's not bad enough, the cost of grain and wheat is going up. Why? Because of all the farm land that is being converted to corn for Ethanol.

Maybe if we can learn to drink Ethanol... A little grain alcohol goes a long way!