addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Plants to Share or Plants in Need

Plants to Share or Plants in Need

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 77
Mary, right now I have 8 or 9 little peat pots with spilanthes growing. I'm sure I'll be able to spare a couple...unless a problem develops...like..I run out of room in my window undeer lights..oh wait! That's already happening!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 119
If you put the wild berries in a sunny cultivated environment you should do very well with them. Like all volunteers they tend to get taken over by overstory and may have burned out the questionable soil they are growing in. They win the taste test every time and may be more nutritious. They may have disease though and should not be planted near cultivars (that have no resistance).

Taste and especially nutrition are not what the cultivars have been bred for. Everybody has purchased those blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, peaches etc. that look great but don't taste like anything much.

Those bright red hydroponic tomatoes are unbelieveable. Dark, bright red, very hard, and taste just like the shitty pink ones.
A former member
Post #: 1
I have plenty of wild blackberries in my back field and will share some cuttings. Also plenty of low bush blueberries, iris roots, and herbs to share.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 309
Should we set a time (perhaps an hour before the "official meetup" at zengeos' house in Gorham in May...) to have a physical swap meeting?

Let me know your thoughts and I'll make an event in meetup.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 82
David, don't I have to be careful how I dig them? I would like a few canes of named raspberries...how close or far from the wilds should they be to keep them from getting any diseases born by the wild ones?

Mark-
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 121
Mark,

I think 50 yards would be a good idea. Dave Handley, the state berry man says 600 feet. That said, it is certainly possible that insects like bees may be a disease vector. There are wild berries around everywhere if you look. You can't edadicate them all so it's probably best to just plant them and hope for the best. Prep your soil well.

In my area it is certainly impossible. My red raspberries are not growing all that well in their current location so I am going to move them to some other locations. My black raspberries growing practically right next to them (you're not supposed to do this) are growing great. They are my favorite berry. I have a more laissez faire attitude about my berries. What grows grows. I will be just making more patches all the time rather than having one large intensely maintained patch.

As far as digging them up goes, the root systems are not huge. You may have to cut a large connector root or two. They are ultra tough though so if they get roughed up some you probably will still be OK.

If you really have no wild berries within 600 feet then cultivars could be the way to go. I like wild and naturalized species because of their proven toughness and unbeatable taste.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 83
50 yards will be difficult, since the wild berries are in a hard to reach area across the stream, but that is about 20-30 yards from where my main garden, behind the house is located. Perhaps I can rework my fruit/orchard plan a little to keep the cultivated raspberries further from the wild ones though. Of course, I don't even have any cultivated raspberries yet!

I ordered highbush blueberries, but am hoping to get a few wild lowbush blueberries to complement them. I think a mixture of sizes and types would look good.

So many things to consider! Sorry for wandering off topic folks!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 92
Winnie - I would love to get some Egyptian onions from you...

zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 85
I may be in need of some Rue and Tansy plants, if anyone has any. Unfortunately, the seeds from one of the seed catalogs I ordered from seem to generally be infertile...at least the pepper and tomato seeds I got from them all are.

Mark
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 13
I have tansy growing all over my yard, if all this damn snow melts before the meet-up at your house i'll bring you a few plants.