addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Growing mushrooms this season.

Growing mushrooms this season.

David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 152
I thinks logs can be cut at other times than winter but spring summer inoculation is the way most people go. You need clean logs with no obvious rot or problems and they should rest for 2-3 weeks.

I just used what I have. My red maple is doing well. You need a log with rugged bark. Poplar/aspen is not the best choice. Its gets infected with competitors easily and is soft. The bark falls off after a year or two. I have gotten a few from birch but the bark doesn't last on that one either. Oak or maple or other hard woods are good. Thinner logs fruit sooner but may need more watering. They will mostly fruit during colder weather with cold nights.