addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Companionable or not?

Companionable or not?

A former member
Post #: 117
Elaine, foxgloves are mostly biennial, though some may last a little longer. So be sure to not cut off all the seed stalks so as to let new plants grow for the next years bloom.
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 152
wouldn't give away plants without researching first if what we have to give is extra, for the plant's sake as well as for our own forest garden's integrity. But your comment Mary, alerts me and confirms that instinct.

So once again, many thanks! You're such an asset to our group.

In fact I'm learning so much from everybody!

Elaine
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 162
On the flip side of that, Elaine...perhaps you can bag a flower head or two to save the seeds. If so, I would love to have some to winter sow!!!

Mark-
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 156
I'd be happy to do that Mark but it looks as if there are only leaves, -- no flowers the first year, only the second.

I notice this about how to care for them --
"Maintenance: Cutting spent foxglove blooms will encourage repeat blooming. Some gardeners choose to leave the last flower stalks of the season because foxgloves will self-sow in the garden."

So I guess next year I'd wait till the end of the season to get seeds for you.

If waiting over a year is too long I notice they cost only about $1.69 for a packet of seeds online.

Apparently, -- notice this --

"Propagation Methods: Foxgloves are easy to start by seed indoors about 10 weeks before last frost date." So you could almost start now if you buy those seeds.

Elaine
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 166
There's a thought, Elaine!

I'm in no hurry though...plenty of things to plant out...not enough beds ready, no time to do it with my work schedule. Oh well...that's life I guess!!!