addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › James Kunstler on CNN

James Kunstler on CNN

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 415
Despite the CNN hype, this is pretty interesting to see what the mainstream press is doing with peak oil.

http://edition.cnn.co...­
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 16
I frequently email Beck because I oppose his strong positions regarding oil and the environment.

Until last night, Beck seemed to be stuck in a fossil fuel pattern of thinking i.e., that we need to drill off our own coasts, drill in Alaska, make oil from coal, etc., with never much commentary on alternative sources of energy. Last night when I watched him interview Boone Pickens, the Texan oil man, I saw in Beck, a bit of a shift (hopefully not momentary) in his well-held preceptions. Too I think he was taken off guard by Pickens poignant responses about peak oil and flat out said to Beck that the US has no other choice but to seek energy alternatives.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 54
I sometimes listen to Glenn Beck on the way to work (when I can take him). Just yesterday he had some economist on his radio show who did not think we were up against peak oil and believed that the price of oil and gas would go back down under $3.00 a gallon (possibly under $2.00) in a couple or few years.

While I haven't read Kunstler's book, I want to believe him. I don't know which reality will play out, but I want to believe (and I hope) that we will be forced to change our habits. I hope it happens with as little pain as possible, but it must happen for our long-range survival, IMO. That is why I am involved with permaculture - it is a healthy and natural alternative to the toxic path we are on.

One other thing: Angus King has said that Maine is in for a lot of trouble, regarding energy, unless we start investing in alternatives, pronto. Of course, he's an investor in a wind farm he's retailing, but his prestige is on the line, so I think he believes what he's saying.
A former member
Post #: 134
This was in the news today:
http://news.yahoo.com...­

My daughter's husband's work in the National Guard involves training for national disasters - I rather think that most of the training involves crowd control - who doesn't remember those military vehicles driving around in New orleans filled with militia with rifles at their sides when the "beloved" general (I forget his name) was going around telling them to "put those god damned rifles down". He said that although the military is very well aware that we'll be out of oil in a few years they don't share that information with the public. He said they see 2020 as the year it will, for all practical purposes, run out. He also said the military feels water wars will equal the fight for oil.
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 56
After 150 years of growth, the oil age is beginning to come to an end. "Peak oil" is the common term for when production stops increasing and starts to decline. At that point what have been ever-expanding and cheap supplies of the resource on which all modern economies depend become scarcer and more expensive, with potentially devastating consequences.

Pessimists believe that production has passed its peak. Optimists say it may be 20 years or so away - which would give us some time to prepare - but are now muted. Last week the hitherto optimistic International Energy Agency admitted that it may have overestimated future capacity. Chris Skrebowski, editor of "Petroleum Review" and once an optimist himself, believes that the world is now in "the foothills of peak oil". Prices may ease a bit over the next few years, but then the real crunch will come. The price then? "Pick a number!"

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/05/25/9190/­