addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Brunswick Area Permaculture

Brunswick Area Permaculture

jenifer
user 6243572
Bath, ME
Post #: 2
Hello, everyone - I am now more or less settled into my new home in Bath and hoping that we can revive our conversations about meeting up in this area. I am a real novice with permaculture and eager to learn. My third of an acre would make a great "urban" project for some one and I would welcome the advice and help! I would be glad to host a pot luck in the next few weeks to help us get connected and organized if others are interested. Thanks,
jen
Merry H.
Merrymaker
Portland, ME
Post #: 17
Go for it, Jenifer. It would be fun to have a get-together up this way. I would kind of like to participate in a book discussion group up here, too, maybe monthly or bi-weekly during the winter, weather permitting.

Merry
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 264
Mary,

Still thinking about a Whitefield group? I'm interested. Come get some winterberry!

David
A former member
Post #: 207
David,

Yes, I sure am! I feel certain that there are many people in this area who would be very interested. A couple of other ideas that have been in the back of my mind are a community green house and a cooperative tool/machinery exchange, things such as a shredder, welder, apple cider press, a WhizBang chicken plucker ( http://thedeliberatea...­ ) laughing and such. Perhaps even larger machinery such as a tractor could be owned by a community? I was talking to a neighbor and I pointed out that the acreage across the road is cut several times a year, but the hay is not baled. He said that's because it is next to impossible these days to get anyone to bale small acreage, even though many people would like to find someone to cut their small fields. If we're ever going to take the power back from giant agribusiness, we need to start thinking smaller rather than bigger.

Any ideas from you or anyone out there about how one goes about getting the word out?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 267
I might not be the best contributor to a community greenhouse. Time. I might be able to contribute a few indigenous species that I propogate in the fall such as viburnums, beach plums, cherries, or something like that. I'm going to plant a lot of peach seeds. Lots of other stuff.

I am not equipment and machinery guy either. I do try to stay as low tech as possible (as a mission). I do have a weedwacker, a chainsaw and a Mantis tiller. The Mantis is the bomb for woods gardening. You can walk behind it right out into the woods to dig tree holes and chop up real crappy ground for planting. Blueberries can love crappy ground. So do balsam firs. Plant it and forget it (Sorry Ron).

I used my lawnmower for 15 minutes this year. All the rest is mostly hand tools. I have to admit, I would love one of those DR field and brush cutters. A year or two from now I won't be able to go anyplace without being mauled by berry bushes.

As far as baling goes for small jobs, I'm running into the same problem with harvesting wood. Even though I have good saleable pines and others that need to go to fix my solar energy problem, I can't get him to come anytime soon. Maybe never.

Fall gardening is just beginning! Plant your empty window boxes! Gather seeds! Sow your woods!
Merry H.
Merrymaker
Portland, ME
Post #: 21
David ends his message, "Sow your woods!" Great idea!!!

David, what do you recommend we sow in our woods? What flourishes under the canopy, in the duff, with very little tending? I'm excited about taking your advice.

Merry
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 107
Hello, everyone - I am now more or less settled into my new home in Bath and hoping that we can revive our conversations about meeting up in this area. I am a real novice with permaculture and eager to learn. My third of an acre would make a great "urban" project for some one and I would welcome the advice and help! I would be glad to host a pot luck in the next few weeks to help us get connected and organized if others are interested. Thanks,
jen

Hi Jenifer,

Sorry to one and all in the Brunswick area group for the long silence. Things have been a little unsettled around here and I haven't been able to get it together enough to figure out a date for our initial meeting. I will send an email out to the listserv shortly.

Ted