addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Start saving extra seed now...

Start saving extra seed now...

Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 39
I know this is waaayyy far off, but on October 25th (a saturday) I would like to have a big seed / perennial division / food culture (kombucha mothers, kefir grains etc) swap at my house. So if your interested in trading seeds this fall you should start saving seeds NOW. Its crazy but some plants have already gone to seed, I missed collecting seed from trout lilies so I thought i would post a message to help other people remember that seed collecting season is here. Also don't forget that some plants need special treatment to optimize seed production (such as hand pollinating squashes).

Lisa, If you would like to make this a official meet-up that would be cool.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 466
That's a great idea Aaron! Email me the details, time, potluck yes or no, max head count, etc. and I'll get it posted. Also, any favorite seed saving resources or web sites for folks who might want to learn more technique....
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 40
That's a great idea Aaron! Email me the details, time, potluck yes or no, max head count, etc. and I'll get it posted. Also, any favorite seed saving resources or web sites for folks who might want to learn more technique....

Here are some collected resources on the subject, this is mostly stuff that was mentioned in the seed saving thread in april:

This book is the best resource for seed saving i have found, there are 3 copies in maine libraries, all easily available through this page: LINK

there is a lot of good info on this site, it explains seed saving for most veggies.

This site has info on more veggies, but with less detail.

Need more info, there is probably a link to it on this page

Not planning on saving seed? well you should consider exercising your right to do so before the fascists who run this country take it away.
A former member
Post #: 93
Amen!

How about if we start creating our own timetable for harvesting seeds e.g. if anyone knows how long they should dry on the plant before you harvest them etc. etc. we could create a data base by month or plant that people could add info. to. Maybe this could be combined with a plant foraging time table to give optimum times for harvesting in the wild. What about dual referencing it all by month AND plant?

I am a computer novice. Is there a way to create a plant list that everyone can add to where it would still be organized by catagory?

Winnie
Aaron P.
user 6845673
Falmouth, ME
Post #: 41
Amen!

How about if we start creating our own timetable for harvesting seeds e.g. if anyone knows how long they should dry on the plant before you harvest them etc. etc. we could create a data base by month or plant that people could add info. to. Maybe this could be combined with a plant foraging time table to give optimum times for harvesting in the wild. What about dual referencing it all by month AND plant?

I am a computer novice. Is there a way to create a plant list that everyone can add to where it would still be organized by catagory?

Winnie

Great Idea! I set up a little wiki page as a start for this idea, its editable by anyone and its as easy to edit as a post on this forum, if you need any help just click the help link on the upper right hand corner.

http://ripedates.wiki...­

So far there is almost nothing on there, but i'll try and add things as i see them happening in the real world... but this page will never be useful unless more people contribute to it. If you need help adding anything please let me know. In order to add pages you need to join the group which is quite simple, but anyone can edit existing pages.
Donanne D.
user 7366070
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
My sister and I were plannong on saving seeds and sharing them with each other but this is an even bertter idea. Count me in. I have kale seeds and I am waiting for radish seeds so far.
Donanne
A former member
Post #: 165
Thanks Aaron. Great idea.
zengeos
zengeos
Gorham, ME
Post #: 204
Aaron, I did quite a lot of seed exchaning this past winter with members of Gardenweb. They have an excellent *newby* exchange, where someone sends a *newby* to growing from seed a variety of seeds. Because I was a newby last year, I ended up getting around 50 varieties of seed.

Also, wintersown.org has a SASE program for seeds, where they will send newbies to wintersowing a variety of seeds. 6-9 kinds...in the SASE you send them. The nice thing about that is the seeds they send should be easy to winter sow successfully.
The woman who runs wintersown is also an avid tomato grower and she has a similar SASE for tomato seeds, many of which are not modern hybrids.

I am definitely interested in the seed trade. I have a half dozen varieties each, of beans, corn and peas which I have more than I'll need in years.

After the seed exchange we really should do a wintersowing gathering...in December or January. I'll host that one if anyone is interested. January would probably be best...typically you start wintersowing after December 21.

Mark-
A former member
Post #: 95
Thanks Aaron!!!!!!!!!

As soon as the permaculture course is done on Sunday, I'll take a look. Is there a way to 'lift' some of the contributions made thus far from the meetup thread e.g. foraging info from Davis Sparr and others and move it to this list? I'll try to make a committment to help stay on top of it to make it a really useful site for us all.

Thank-you for your expertise--I am in awe of your saavy!

Winnie