addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Maine as a Bread Basket?

Maine as a Bread Basket?

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 506
... which of course it once was. could be again. saw this on the slowfood listserv....

http://growseed.org/i...­
Merry & Burl H.
BeMerry
Portland, ME
Post #: 77
I have written a profile of Eli Rugosa and her Heritage Wheat Conservance if anybody would like to read it. It will introduce the chapter, "The Wisdom of Our Forefarmers" in my book. It begins:

“Restoring wheats that nourished people for millennia, but today are almost extinct” has become the passionate mission of Eli Rogosa, founder of The Heritage Wheat Conservancy. On her website, www.growseed.org, Eli tells us:

The delicious, high nutrition wheats that sustained earlier peoples are almost extinct. By restoring heritage wheats and baking artisanal bread, each of us can become a link for food and farming traditions in our own community.

Heritage Wheat Conservancy is organized for organic farmers, artisan bakers and people that like to eat bread, to address issues that are at the heart of today’s global food crisis. “New England’s delicious heritage wheats, many of which date back to Biblical times, are in danger of being lost to the world.” Eli is dedicated to saving them from extinction...

And it ends:

Eli Rugosa has a cogent message about seeds which boils down to the old adage about muscles: “Use them or lose them.” Seeds, like muscles, are living matter which must be cherished, tended, and utilized wisely.

Technology, managed by mega-corporations whose prime directive is profit, is not the answer to today’s climate and food crisis. Seeds are not magic bullets to be horded. As Ka Memong Patayan, Filipino octogenarian activist, tells us, “A patent on seeds is a patent on freedom." They are living entities that need to be sewn in fertile, living soil. Our forefarmers knew that; so should we.

Maine is fortunate to have such a dedicated seed saver actively farming in our midst. Locally grown grain, especially wheat, is one of the areas in which Maine has become deficient over the last half century, as the Midwestern agribusiness has taken over the market. There is increasing need for Maine-grown wheat as local artisanal bakers, grass-fed livestock farmers, and consumers wanting local produce increase. Eli Rogosa and the Heritage Wheat Conservancy are in the vanguard of providing it for us.

Merry