addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Scott D
user 7715836
Buxton, ME
Post #: 6
Tree,
Between 10 and 11 would be great for me. Send me an e-mail about where to go. I'm looking forward to helping you make some discoveries.

Scott
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 538
Hi All - I'm happy to schedule this as a meetup. We can do Robinson Woods again in Cape Eliz (close to Portland) or another location of your choice. Please let me know a few available Sat or Sun dates that work and we can book it for something like 9am to 11am. I'd also love to lure David Spahr down here but that would be a really long way to drive. Scott D, Tree, Beth, et al... your thoughts on dates/places in or near Portland?
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 539
Just noticed this in today's paper:
http://pressherald.ma...­

Don't really like the headline. But, then again, that's why we would only do this with knowledgable people!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 242
Tree and all,

I am doing interested in doing walks. Previous posts on this thread..............

David
Susannah
user 3832381
Portland, ME
Post #: 71
Francesco and I walked Robinson Woods two days ago and it was teeming with millions of mushrooms of every shape and size. We'd love to walk there again soon with someone who is knowledgable. Sunday mornings are ideal.
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 68
Dear All,

A sunday morning would probably be good for me, as well.
Perhaps the weekend after labor day? During the week after labor day is good for me, also.

thank you,
Tree
A former member
Post #: 187
David could you please comment on the statement from the article that lilac brown boletes are among the three most deadly mushrooms in the area?
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 243
I know Greg Marley very well. Actually, I don't think he was saying that lilac brown bolete (Tylopilus eximius) is deadly but it is certainly quite poisonous. When the Audubon book came out in 1981 I bought it almost immediately. In that guide it says that bolete is edible. I was saved from poisoning by the fact that I have never found one that was not wormy. In Maine anyway, it certainly is poisonous and if you read Sam Ristich's journal, you find out that hospitals called him year after year about poisonings. No one died but a lot of people got real sick.

Greg Marley prepared that mushroom for himself and some of his friends sometime in the 80s and they all became seriously ill.

I found a lot of those this year and still have not found one that is not wormy. It is an easy one to recognize.

Dr. Sam died this past February at 93. He was a great inspiration to all he met. To see some pics of Dr. Sam and some foray pictures, go to my foray page here:

http://mushroom-colle...­

David
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 13
Sunday mornings would be great for me and my husband as well. Sometimes the parking at Robinson woods on Sundays can get tight, so I offer our yard to park in as we border that property.
Beth
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 244
As far as general learning on mushrooms it might be useful to just join the MMA (Maine Mycological Assoc.) They have forays about every 2-3 weeks and many are withing reasonable driving distance from Portland and usually on Sunday (this year anyway). This involves collecting and identifying everything found. MMA has some identifiers that are better than I am.

It is $10 for one and $12 for two annually. Anyone can go to forays (free). Just the annual meeting potluck dinner is worth the price of admission (Harpswell I think). If you want to try a bit of everybody's best mushroom recipes.....

Learning about picking edibles is another matter. That is what at least half of all mushroom enthusiasts want to know. As my website should indicate, I am far more interested in edibles and medicinals than mycology. I'll think of a frying pan before a microscope most every time (I did use my cheapo microscope within the last week). Knowing what things are is very important but I usually am more interested in what they mean.

Any walks I lead are likely to be about edible mushrooms, show and tell on useful equipment, rules for mushroom collecting and maybe a lot of hiking. In addition I am likely to also point out edible plants, bushes and trees, animals, or talk about plant/fungus relationships, native bees, or woodlot farming. Some short lessons on mushroom photography or tai chi/chi kung or other martial quickie may happen if the situation dictates.

Walks at my own property could also involve some mushroom preparation and cookery (food) or possibly mushroom home brewing discussion (with possible lab trials).

For walks at various locations I would need to travel to, I need $15 per person minimum 10 people, or $150 for smaller groups.

For walks at my property, it will be $15 for adults and $10 for under 18 no matter how many people show up. Walks at my property are likely to last longer and cover more topics or activities.

David