addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Burdock Gathering

Burdock Gathering

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 515
you're invited to....

Burdock 2008
for a free and sustainable future

August 19-26 in
Starks, Maine.

A participatory community gathering
Workshops, discussions, & skillshares
Kids workshops & Activities
Campfires, swimming, music & art
Lots of fun & free healthy food
Participating rain or shine!
Workshops

Do-it-yourself skillshares
Sustainable living skills & wild crafting
Biodiversity & environmental protection
Indigenous struggles
Race, gender, sex and sexuality
Capitalism and class
Political prisoners: struggles & support
Unschooling & youth empowerment
Alternative Building & more!
If you want to offer a workshop please contact us. We are particularly looking for more hands-on workshops on do-it-yourself skills and sustainable living.

Music, Bartering, Building, Performance and Celebration

Building a Yurt in Celebration of Patrikya, a center of Burdock who passed on this spring. All week long-bring skills and materials.
Community Dinner & Jam in Honor of Patrikya: August 21st 6pm-10pm: Come enjoy food, music and celebrate the life of Patrikya.
Barter Fair! Saturday August 23rd from 1-4pm Bring crafts,medicine, food, clothing, books or anything else you want to trade.
Open Mic (less) Night: Friday Night August 22nd
Burdock Cabaret: Performance, Puppetry, Circus Shows & Music on Saturday Night August 23rd
Contact us if you are interested in performing at the Burdock Cabaret.

Suggested Donation of $5 per day or pay what you can (no one turned away for lack of money)- includes all camping, food, workshops, and music.

http://www.burdockgat...­
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 241
Dear Friends,

I'm amazed and will tell you why !!

Unnoticed until I discovered it yesterday, a burdock plant, now hip to chest high, has come into our lives. It made its home between our garden shed and the end of the Canadian hemlocks!

My very ignorant initial reaction was negative: "Cockle-buttons!" is what I used to call it as a child.

But wiser now about wild plant possibilities, I looked up burdock. Wow! I was blown away, not only because of its amazing medicinal properties, but because burdock meets one of my very personal needs, -- a remedy for psoriatic scalp!

The awe I feel with this discovery recapitulates the awe I felt during an herb walk outside New Orleans many years ago. (The cook for our week long yoga workshop, was a wise and enthusiastic herbalist.) He explained how, e.g., if there poisonous snakes in the woods, there will also be nearby herbs that heal from poisonous bites!

How did Mother Nature know I have psoriatic scalp and need burdock????!!!!!

Elaine
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 541
Elaine - I have seen this happen dozens of times, now. For my own part, I had been cursing the celandine in my yard for 5 years when, lo and behold, I landed in the emergency room with a gall bladder issue (common in my family I found out later). Celandine (and specifically the homeopathic preparation cheladonium) are specific for my situation.

So what seems to be "presenting itself" strongly in your yards?
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 242
Glad to hear my experience is confirmed by you too, Lisa! The reality of this phenomenon packs a wallop for me.

Our backyard wild plants as personal crystal balls!
David S.
stereoview
Washington, ME
Post #: 246
Burdock roots for food are best dug in the spring of their second year. They can be huge and very deep in older plants (and woody). Sam Thayer's book covers this.

David
A former member
Post #: 1
I used to sell burdock in a natural foods cooperative. It is highly esteemed in traditional herbal medicines as a liver cleanser.
And the Japanese often slice it up and add it to miso soup.
A former member
Post #: 17
GOBO!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 243
Thanks David, I talked with Kiya Smith after class yesterday. She told me burdock is a bi-annual (or should I say biennial ?). That means the first year only the rosette comes up, but the second year the plant rises to probably what it is now. That would mean ours is a second year plant. Yet I didn't even notice it earlier this summer!

Thanks for mentioning the Sam Thayer book, David. I'll check it out.

Nice to have you on board Forrest!

Zukie what do you mean by GOBO?!! Educate me.

Elaine