addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Meetup Event RSVP Guidelines

Meetup Event RSVP Guidelines

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 533
Hi Everyone -

Here are a few RSVP guidelines for the group. Please do your best to work within these and email me any feedback or ideas.

• Please RSVP as soon as you are able to do so (upon receiving the event email or by periodically checking the meetup calendar to see what events are happening). Many events have a maximum RSVP number for an important reason so you often can't wait until the last minute to get into some of them.
  • Be honest and RSVP "yes" only if you really think you can make it. We're getting away from allowing "maybe" responses for limited events because every "maybe" locks up a spot.
  • Most importantly, if you are NOT going to make it to an event for which you have RSVPd "yes," please, please, please change your RSVP to "no" and - if it's the last minute - email the organizer so they can try to get someone else into the open slot (esp if an event has been full). We have had a LARGE number of "no shows" lately(you're not a no show if you change your RSVP or let the organizer know what's up....only if you said "yes" and just don't turn up.) No shows are a problem. I know there's a temptation to just say to yourself at the last minute, "Well, they won't miss one person if I don't show up..." but if a few people do that it gets difficult logistically.
  • For paid events, you will start seeing more events that require the payment before your "yes" RSVP can happen (i.e. the organizer will change your RSVP to "yes" when the payment is received). Fees are set for events in order to cover a specific budget for the event and "yes" RSVPs that decide NOT to attend at the last minute have not only caused problems for being able to cover event costs, but have also "locked up" seats in the event until it's too late for others to fill the slots (i.e. plans were already made for those dates, etc.).
  • Why is it that sometimes you can RSVP 'maybe' and sometimes that's not an option? For events that are around 20 people or fewer maximum ( for space reasons, or whatever), we sometimes disable the 'maybe' option because it locks up a spot, often for a while. I've also observed that sometimes the 'maybe' folks forget to change their RSVP to either 'yes' or 'no.' In the same category is the fact that we sometimes limit the number of guests to one (1) so ensure that our meetup members have first crack at getting into size-limited events. If you've used up your guest chit and really want another one to get in, have them create a meetup login and join our meetup and then they can RSVP for themselves perhaps. They can also drop out afterward if desired.

Thanks for your help! I'll post a link to this thread with new events as they come up....
Lisa

Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 537
I should add that you can RSVP "no" to events you won't be attending to cut down on annoying "reminder" emails from the meetup site. Thanks!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 860
I am posting this note just as a way of giving a little background on why some paid events are now set up to "require" payment before a "yes" RSVP can be completed...

I have resisted doing it that way for as long as I could because, as many of you know, I have a fundamental problem with making the use of plastic (and corporate payment systems like paypal, amazon, etc.) mandatory. However, with membership growing and our calender of really interesting events expanding-- all good things! -- it's important that organizational time be spent on creative, productive and forward-looking work like developing and offering more and better events:) After all we are a no/low budget organization.

Requiring payment at the time of registering means that organizational time isn't diverted into what I would call unproductive work. A fair amount of time has gone into managing checks, chasing down "yes" folks to confirm attendance or payment (and who sometimes drop out at the last minute leaving the event budget blown), etc.

Anyway, this is in no way a complaint about anyone but rather just a realization that the process needs refining in order to make the best use of organizer time AND get more of the good stuff out there for all of you!

AND, I apologize to those of you who don't like to use plastic to pay for stuff online. You might consider a prepaid VISA or MasterCard (I think they have them at CVS) that you "charge up" with some money but has no ties to your personal accounts in any way. Then you'll be prepared for those events that pop up and require payment.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, new member here. I have a few additional questions about the refund policy for paid events (apologies if this is discussed elsewhere, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly investigate). So my questions are, if I RSVP for a paid event and am unable to make that commitment, can a friend/spouse attend in my absence? What if I cannot attend, remove myself from the RSVP list, and the event subsequently fills up (i.e, there is a waitlist) -- would a refund be issued in that event?

Thanks for considering my questions.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 2,260
Hi Elizabeth,

Yes, you can always have someone attend in your place or have someone from the waiting list take your place (the latter works best when the waiting list people have a few days notice, i.e. have not made other plans). If someone from the waiting last can take your sport then yes, there is definitely a refund! This mainly an issue only on events where there are some fixed costs to run the event and a fixed number of attendee slots and the budget has been calculated accordingly. Feel free to get in touch with any other questions!

Thanks
Lisa