addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › wild rice (zizania acquatica)?

wild rice (zizania acquatica)?

alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 55
anyone growing this, know someone growing it, or see it regularly in the wild? i have been thinking it would be fun to experiment with growing some here as we have a quarry full of water year round. from the little research i've done so far, it sounds like wild rice cannot tolerate changes in water level (which do occur here at the quarry depending on weather.... after kyle the water is the highest we've ever seen!!) so i was thinking of trying to grow the rice on floating islands (article on how to make them in the latest Pc Activist). just curious if others have any experience with it!

thanks!
katie
A former member
Post #: 5
Hello Katie,
There is a write up in the last MOFGA newspaper about a group trying to grow rice n Vermont. I don't know what kind they are working with and don't think it is wild. They list a "for more info" contact # for Northeast SARE 802-656-0471.

Good Luck with it all,
Lynette Breton
alder
user 6954726
Sullivan, ME
Post #: 56
thanks for the tip lynette, i'll definitely check it out. i've been too busy to sit down and actually read any of the periodicals/news i subscribe to, but the quiet time is fast approaching.

katie