addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Resilience Hub & Portland Maine Permaculture Message Board › Chickens in backyards

Chickens in backyards

Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 274
Dear Friends,

Fun article in Christian Science Monitor -- "Whole lotta clucking going on in cities
More Americans raise chickens in their backyards"
here:

http://www.csmonitor....­

Eager to get our own, probably four, hens next year!

Elaine
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 82
Elaine, Can Portland residents have chickens in their backyard?
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 17
My friend who (secretly) has chickens in her Portland backyard says she is not supposed to have them in Portland...that said, I have had chickens in my backyard for 3+ years and love it - fresh eggs, little ones hatching (I have a rooster...or two), ticks eaten, funny chicken comedies. It's a delight. I am in Cape Elizabeth where there are still farms, so no regulation around chickens...
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 84
Hi Beth, Thanks for sharing chick stories. Yes, I know they are fun. I used to have hens, roosters, geese, and ducks. Some of my current neighbors wouldn't mind. Then there are some who actually frown on composting.
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Group Organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 620
...there are some who actually frown on composting.

hahaha - that's funny since soil=food=life.
Penelope
user 5846522
Portland, ME
Post #: 85
yep...it is hilarious biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Beth
BethRich
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Post #: 18
Ironic, isn't it???
The folks in my "subdivision" (I am on 6 acres but still in a homewoners assocaition ) who complained when I 1st started keeping hens now buy eggs from me...The folks who frown on composting probably pay outrageous $$ for status-friendly organic food at Whole Foods jetted in from California. Go figure!
Ted M.
TedMarkow
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 126
Elaine, Can Portland residents have chickens in their backyard?

We had a meetup last summer at someone's house in S. Portland who has a few hens. I know she had to fight city hall to do it, but if there, why not Portland?

This is Maine, and we're still pretty rural. I think if anyone wants to do something, just do it. If the neighbors complain or the local inspector finds out, then change it. Hey, this is Maine!
Elaine
user 3022592
Portland, ME
Post #: 280
Dear Friends, Sorry for the delay in answering.

Lisa gave me Stacey Collins' name, the one who, (or one who) spearheaded the successful ordinance allowing chickens in South Portland, so I emailed her for more info.

Stacey generous offered to meet with me after her move is complete, so we should be meeting soon. I'll email her again now.

But in the meantime she directed me to their terrific site
http://www.sailzora.c...­

When I told a few neighbors of our desire to have Portland follow SoPo's lead (After all, they did all the work that Portland could copy!) one of them told me that this item is already on the Portland city council docket!! (A friend of his running for the city council told him so.)

BUT, -- they said the councilors will need phone calls to nudge them to act.

We decided, however, that it would be better to wait until after the election, -- in January.

Francis and I will go ahead with hens anyway, as some of you have done, but with a group like ours to make those call, it should be easy to get Portland to become another chicken-friendly city!

Lisa, -- Maybe Stacey could talk about chickens for ALL of us at one of our monthly potluck meetings! If not, I'll report on my upcoming meeting with Stacey.

Joy, joy,
Elaine