addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube
A former member
Post #: 484
Homemade sauerkraut made in jars

Use 5 pounds fully matured cabbage. Quarter, core, and finely shred cabbage. Large ribs need not be removed.
Sprinkle 3-1/2 tablespoons canning salt over cabbage; mix well.
Let stand at least 60 minutes to wilt slightly. Firmly pack into jars, leaving a 2-inch headspace.
Fill with cold water, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids, screwing bands tight.
Place jars on jelly roll pan to catch brine that overflows during fermentation and curing.
Keep cabbage covered with brine.
If necessary, open jars and add more brine made by dissolving
1-1/2 tablespoons salt in 1 quart of water.
Sauerkraut is cured and ready to can in 6 to 8 weeks.
Clean rims of jars, replacing with new lids if necessary; screw bands tight.
Set jars in waterbath canner filled with cold water.
Water should extend above jars. Bring water slowly to boiling.
Process sauerkraut (pints or quarts) for 30/35 minutes. Makes 7 pints.

I make it by the quart because after opening it still lasts for a long time in the fridge. I use a 1 inch wooden dowel to tamp it in the jar - tamp it very tightly. I use glass-lined zinc (or plastic) lids during fermentation. You may find that it is ready even before 6 weeks if your kitchen is warm. Once and a while you may get a little spoilage form on the top of a jar if you have failed to keep the brine level up. You may just skim it off and continue on - I have never had a jar go bad. Mix up a quart of brine and keep it on hand as you will be surprised at how much bubbles out. Red cabbage makes nice kraut as well.
Lori H.
user 9872629
Portland, ME
Post #: 4
Thank you so much for posting this—I've been wanting to make my own sauerkraut. I had wanted to hold out for finding big, old ceramic containers for the 'kraut to ferment and cure in, but was concerned about finding ones with absolutely no cracking, and I didn't want to use 5-gallon plastic buckets, so this container method looks like a great way to approach it!
Tree
user 4058763
Hollis Center, ME
Post #: 236
Great recipe, Mary!
Thanks!

Anyone have good ways to use Kale?

Tree
A former member
Post #: 49
Does anyone have a recipe for kimchi/kimchee/kim chee? I tried it for the first time this year and love it. I far prefer it to sauerkraut and would definitely make some if it is reasonably doable. Thanks. Mary
Christina B.
user 12054343
West Baldwin, ME
Post #: 3
If you do not have the book Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz, you should all have it. Try making kimchee with cauliflower it is the BEST!
A former member
Post #: 50
Many thanks, Christina. I'll check it out. Mary
A former member
Post #: 485
Kale recipes? Yes! I made the kale soup as made on the PBS vegetarian show and was not so crazy about it... I think that was last winter...and so I googled it and found some ( I think) great recipes.

Kale was not something we had as kids, but more and more I am starting to just love it. A few years ago I bought a box of rainbow kale, and I was hooked. No pests, (almost) no bolting, productive spring to late fall, never bitter (I am sensitive to bitterness), freezes well, stems tender for stir fries and leaves tender for salads, soups, or quick fry with olive oil and vinegar, my gawd!, I probably missed as much about its wonders as I mentioned!

Recipes: http://www.seasonalch...­

Try one and let us know!
Lisa F.
lisa.f.organizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 1,426
Oh, Alison LePage has an awesome kimchee that she makes. I'll see if she can post it! Also, I got in on a bulk order of ceramic crocks last year (3 and 5 gallon ones) for fermenting and if there's enough interest to warrant a pallet-load order, we can do so again, prob for an august delivery (which should work for much of our harvest times around here).
A former member
Post #: 51
I'd be interested in crocks, Lisa. Thanks. How much are they? Mary
Lori H.
user 9872629
Portland, ME
Post #: 5
Second on that—I would be interested in two, maybe three crocks...