addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

The Santa Monica Law of Attraction & International Meetup Message Board › The Secret, Abraham Hicks and Faith

The Secret, Abraham Hicks and Faith

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all,

I just found your meetup group today and am so pleased to have done so. I can't wait to meet and connect with all of you.

I first viewed the Secret at the beginning of this month and have not been able to get it out of my mind. If nothing else, the teachings in the Secret have served as great coping mechanisms for the stresses and worries of daily life. Although very skeptical at first, I'm truly benefiting from the Secret and my faith in LOA becomes stronger by the day. I've been so immersed in LOA over the last few weeks that I've been seeking information on the subject relentlessly. Yesterday, I received a CD that I ordered from the Abraham Hicks website which I learned about from the Powerful Intentions website. The CD is titled "Introduction to the Teachings of Abraham."

As I'm becoming a strong believer and advocate of LOA, I must admit that this CD has pushed me back a couple of steps in my faith of the "universal law." First, Jerry Hicks makes me pause as he mentions the Ouija Board as an inspiration for his teachings. Second, Esther Hicks who's seemingly the sane one totally loses me when her guiding spirit, Abraham, addresses the listener through her with a fantasy-land accent speaking in almost cryptic like English. It's comical and upsetting at the same time. I feel duped for buying this CD. The message is consistent with the Secret, but the vehicle that's delivering the message is ridiculous.

Has anyone heard this CD? Can anyone share with me some sage words to put this hocus pocus charlatan like gobbly gook into perspective?

Thanks,
Matt
A former member
Post #: 5
Hello, Matt

I completely relate to what you are saying! I bought the book AND the audiobook on CD because I am so excited about the practices but I was also put off by the hokey introduction. Maybe the Hicks didn't feel the world would accept this ideology as coming from them or perhaps they themselves could not accept it and had to create the "spirit guide" Abraham in order to actualize this part of their spiritual practice. I have heard the theory put forth that "spirit guides" are merely extensions of ourselves when we need a more magical or divine vehicle to express our spiritual aspects. In a way, it's a shame because the 22 practices are very helpful and practical and useful and I want to share it with everybody I care about, but I know some of the people I would like to hear it would never get past the beginning before writing it off as
a sham.

The 4-CD audio program that encompasses part two of the book contains the 22 practices and I hope you purchased both sets one and two. If you only purchased set one, I can see where you might feel disappointed! I only use set 2 now. If purchasing the cd did nothing more than to reinforce the concepts that you were previously exposed to, then hey, you now have enough knowledge to manifest more abundance to totally make up for any financial output so. no worries, huh?

Take care! And DO check out the 22 practices. THEY are totally awesome.

Faith
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks for your thoughts, Faith. I posted the same subject on another site I've been visiting... PowerfulIntentions.com. I got some really good responses, yet mixed responses. The unifying themes, however, were "Don't shoot the messenger" and "Use what works for you."

After thinking about it a bit more, the fictional character Abraham also conflicts with my faith in Christianity, aside from the theatrical "voice." The secret mentioned nothing of a spiritual nature for LOA. I remember the Secret being more of law of nature like "gravity." That I can live with - and that's how I'll proceed from here. The "attitude of gratitude" seems to be working the best for me, thus far. Being grateful and counting my blessings seems to extinguish the fears and worries that I found so debilitating just a month ago.

Maintaining my progress is now my only worry. So for that, I'm grateful I found this local group to keep me on trackwink.

Thanks again, Faith.

Cheers, peace and blessings...

Matt
Carrie G.
naturaldoctormom
Group Organizer
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 92
Oh Yes Matt! The attitude of gratitude is one of the first steps in the "lessons" of the laws... although one of the first...seems that it's the thing that just soooo continues to trigger continued things/stuff to be grateful for!!!

I have a little saying about that I will share soon...but, it's gotten late, and I just wanted to say hello and thank you so much for bringing the message board to life a bit!! There are many people who cannot attend the meetings who I'd love to be able to support and grow mutually, and share and learn/live here too!!! SO, THANK YOU, and thank you Faith!!! Keep it coming :)

Many Blessings!

Carrie

ps...I still haven't figured out how to turn on the announcements for OUR message board!!!! :( Anyone know!??

Love and Hugs to all!!!
A former member
Post #: 4
I know this book has been out for a while, I've routinely come across it over the years - perhaps it was attracting me? And I'm sure most of you have read it, or at least know of it... Excuse Me, Your LIFE is Waiting.

I post this for my fellow LOAer's who may have experienced the same challenges I have with Abraham. Meaning... you love the message, you want the message and you can't get enough of the message, but are having similar difficulties as I with the "channeling" and "voice." This book by Lynn Grabhorn is an AMAZING alternative. She even references the Hicks family as an inspiration. So, if you want the message, but with a different messenger, I find Lynn's delivery much more palatable.

As I continue to read and research, I'm finding the secret is to maintain positive thoughts and good feelings - And there are a million ways to accomplish that. Search for whatever allows you to succeed in your positive thinking, and when you find it... immerse yourself in it. Lynn's book (I'm actually listening to the audio form) is what does it for me, perhaps it will help you, too?

Cheers, peace and blessings to you today!

Best,
Mattsmile
Steve D.
CoachSteve
Oak Park, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Matt!
Great post here! I can TOTALLY relate to how you feel, because the first time I heard the Introduction to Abraham cd, I thought her Esther's voice change was a bit too much for me also... But if you get the cds that they made after that, her voice softens, and becomes more natural, and less, what's the word, crass, or like overly powerful or whatever...
Just to let you know, Lynn Grabhorn was a student of Abraham, and wrote her book "Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting" from the Abraham workshops that she attended...
I was a computer programmer by trade, and this was a huge step for me - to listen to Abraham. With regard to the hocus pocus feeling, etc, I can totally relate, and the oija board! But you know what I did? (I was a JW for 20 years by the way!), I went out and got a Psyhic Circle board, and began testing this stuff out myself. And you know what? It proved it beyond a shadow of a doubt that there really are spirit beings out there willing and wanting to connect and communicate with us. I was blown away when we got the board to work. I'm a very analytical type of guy, and yet, because I was open to it, it worked.
If I was going to give you any advice it would be this - don't dismiss the impossible sounding things - or the uncomfortable, or the outside your comfort zone things in your life. BE YOUR OWN SCIENTIST. Prove this stuff to yourself one way or another. Quantum Physicists are understanding that reality is nothing like what we really thought it was - as decribed in the movie "What the Bleep". Harvard professor William Tiller completely believes in the spirit world, and in our eternal nature, but he's not really allowed to teach it in school - he studies it on the side, and has proven it to himself and others.
It's a wild ride! Test this stuff out yourself and come to your own conclusions because you are much more powerful and wise beyond your knowing... The only truth that matters is your own.
One last thought - If you like Lynn's stuff, you like Dr. Wayne Dyer's books/materials. But guess what? He wrote the introduction to the Hicks book, "Ask and it is Given" and basically said that the book that you are holding is probably the most important and best book on the law of attraction on planet earth. The way I look at it, why not go directly to the source of where all these people are getting their information from? Why allow the message to be filtered and mis-interpreted? Why not go to the source? But that's just me... I could be wrong! I won't know 100% until I die!!!
Most importantly, HAVE FUN... With all of this... - Steve.
A former member
Post #: 5
That's awesome Steve - thanks for the timely and detailed reply. As a Christ believer all of my life (and still), it's frowned on putting Jesus to the test. Not so I see with LOA! I'll give it a try.

I have yet to manifest anything I've been wanting, however, I have had some AMAZING "coincidences" in the last 30 days - I mean some unbelievable stuff where some sort of Divine intervention had to be at work. I am an analytical type as well so the "hocus pocus" stuff is coming along probably slower for me than most, but progress is being made... I assure you. I do have an open mind, but it's always on guard.

Again... thanks, Steve. Oh, by the way... "Ask and It Is Given" is on deck as soon as I finish "Excuse Me..." It's sitting on the passenger's seat in my car. I must've attracted you to mention the book because I'm anxious to get into itsmile

Quick question... You're not the first one I've heard mention that Abraham's accent mellows as the Hicks' produce more and more material. Wouldn't that lead one to believe that the accent isn't real, therefore Abraham's reality is questionable? Just a thought... maybe Abraham is communicating with the Hicks so often that he's acquiring their accent? I know it only takes me about 10 seconds when I visit the South to develop a slight drawlsmile

I hope to make your acquaintance someday, you sound like a wise and wonderful person - take care.

Matt
Steve D.
CoachSteve
Oak Park, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Matt!

Sorry for the late response... I think that Esther Hicks has gotten more and more comfortable over time with Abraham speaking through her, and so she is more able to relax her voice. Honestly, I believe that's all that it is... Or, it could be that Abraham is having some influence on it too as you mention...

I had the privilege of asking Abraham questions while in the hot seat in San Antonio in November, and then meeting her afterward and talking to her. I couldn't really tell much of a difference at all in her voice now, but what was interesting to me was that my experience of her afterward was that she's just a normal everyday person like you or me. She was very gracious and let me take a photo with her... Plus, Jerry is a very good hearted, nice guy, and likes to joke around and have fun...

When I was asking my questions of Abraham - I was nervous. It was the closest I'd ever gotten to feeling like I was Moses asking God questions! I said feeling - I'm no Moses! Their answers were kind of difficult for me to absorb in the moment, and when I listened to it later, I understood much better. This is why I listen to their material repeatedly, over and over because each time I listen, I get more out of it, and it makes more and more sense...

Anyway, I hope to meet you soon! - Steve.