“I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”
- Oscar Wilde
What is your relationship to your emotions?
Are you a slave or a master when it comes to managing your emotions?
What are the connections between emotional mastery, freedom, wisdom and happiness?
There has been so much great work done on empowering oneself through the mastery of emotions that I thought this would be an ideal topic for our group. This event will be an opportunity for us to explore wisdom and insights from some of the great philosophers of the past and present, as well as a forum for us to share our insights, theories, thoughts, and experiences.
No formal philosophy experience or specialized knowledge is required to participate in any of our events (either as a facilitator or as a regular guest). All that is required is that you are open-minded and respectful of your fellow guests. :)
The venue choice for this event was based on the discussion board which was made available to all members prior to the event:
As previously mentioned, our members take turns helping to facilitate our discussions. We require one discussion facilitator for each table of 6 people but I doubt that we`ll have a problem finding volunteers. I`ve created a special video just to explain what is involved with facilitating our discussions.
If you would like to attend this event then you need to sign up as a member and RSVP for this event on-line through this website only. Please do not show up in person if you haven't signed up since there are limited seats available and this will cause confusion.
Please try to arrive on time (in consideration of your fellow attendees).
Don't be shy to sign up to this event since I'll cancel if less than 6 people sign up.
I will book a 3rd table (of 6 people) if there is enough interest in this event.
Arrival time is 7:00pm at which time everyone will be provided a seat at one of our reserved tables (6 people max at each table). We will start our discussions at 7:15 once people have settled and have ordered their drinks/food. As a courtesy to your fellow attendees and to the facilitators, please arrive on time.
Our ongoing mission is to explore the art and science of meaningful discussions and to initiate these discussions in cities around the world. Our team has collectively coordinated hundreds of events since 2012 and we have combined this experience into this project. [More about our mission...]
We believe that discussion topics need to be intriguing, practical and relevant in order to be able to compete with the ever-growing list of television shows and other less engaging activities which lead to social isolation. [View our current topics]
Intentions For Our Discussions
Meaningful discussions are not debates or lectures. Each discussion is an opportunity for participants to collectively explore a topic with the following intentions:
1. To have an enjoyable and engaging experience with open-minded individuals while also improving our conversations skills.
2. To learn something new from each other by sharing our insights and unique perspectives based on our life experiences.
3. To learn something new about ourselves by re-examining our values and beliefs based on hearing new perspectives which we may or may not agree with.
4. To build a community of returning members and to create a conducive environment for new friendships.
How are we different from other discussion groups?
1. Structure. Most other discussion groups have a free-form structure where everyone is seated at a long table or in one large group. Our events have multiple groups of 5-7 people with one facilitator at each table and discussion questions provided. [View our structure]
2. Preparation Time. Most other discussion groups will provide a very brief outline of the topic. In contrast, we spend a lot of time creating topic packages which include Food For Thought videos and discussion notes.
3. Intention. Most discussion groups put more emphasis on the topic being discussed but not on actually creating a meaningful experience. In contrast, creating meaningful experiences is our primary focus and our mission.
What qualifications do you need to join this group?
All you need to join our group is an open-mind, humility in knowing that we all have lots to learn from other perspectives and a desire to improve your conversation skills while having fun at the same time.