The Washington DC Meditation Meetup Group Message Board › Rathyatra/Festival of India, Lot of info on Yoga/Meditation
|A former member||
BALTIMORE'S 6th ANNUAL
RATHAYATRA (CHARIOT PARADE), FESTIVAL of INDIA
PROCLAIMED RATHAYATRA DAY BY MAYOR SHEILA DIXON
Hare Krishna Temple, Baltimore, MD
200 Bloomsbury Ave., Catonsville, MD 21228
www.baltimorekrishna.com ? firstname.lastname@example.org ? 410.719-1776
Rathyatra: Saturday, May 31st, 2008, 12 noon - 2 pm
Festival of India:
Friday, May 30th, 4 - 8 pm
Saturday, May 31st, 12 noon - 7 pm
Sunday, June 1st, 11 am - 4 pm
Where: Inner Harbor, McKeldin Square, corner of Pratt and Light Street,
12 noon Baltimore Science Center down Light Street to:
FESTIVAL OF INDIA
till 7pm at McKeldin Square, corner of Pratt and Light Streets
ALSO Friday, May 30th 4pm-8pm and Sunday, June 1st 11am-4pm
? FREE vegetarian/vegan feast
? Live music, dance and drama
? Cultural exhibits
? Gift shops
? Books on yoga and meditation
LIVE CONCERT BY AVERAGE SOUL BAND
Learn more about the Rathyatra tradition:
*Volunteering*: A lot of help is needed for a festival of this magnitude.
Over 50,000 people are estimated to go through the Baltimore inner harbor
area on the Festival of India/Rathyatra weekend because of sporting and
other events. Please come in traditional devotee clothes and be vedic
ambassadors, help serve free prasadam, distribute vedic literature, cook
prasadam on the previous day, help with logistics, decoration, garlands etc.
ATTENTION ALL RATHAYATRA VOLUNTEERS
As you all know, this year the Baltimore Festival of India will be a three day long event:
Fiday, May 30th from 3pm - 8pm
Saturday, May 31st from 2pm - 8pm
Sunday, June 1st from 11am - 4pm
We will need devotees at these times to help with the various services listed below. Please email or talk to me personally, unless another contact person is listed, and let me know what you can do to make this the best Rathayatra/Festival of India yet. Also below are some additional helpful notes and suggestions.
Kitchen Help (vegetable cutting from 6pm - 10pm Friday night at Potomac Temple - contact Caitanya Nitai at 240/476-6540)
Kitchen Help (required Saturday morning from 7am - 11:30am at the Potomac Temple - contact Sunanda Das at 410/719-1776)
Rathayatra Cart Decorating (Saturday morning 8am - contact Gauranga dasi at 410/752-0137
Book table (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
Kirtan on stage (Friday and Sunday only)
Prasadam servout (Saturday only from 2:45pm - 8pm)
General maintenance (trash, etc. - contact Chandrakant Patel at 410/747-0899
Festival Set-up (Thursday evening 6pm/Friday morning 9am)
Festival take-down and clean-up (Sunday after 4pm)
Thank you, Sunanda das 410/719-1776, email@example.com
Here is a list of comments and suggestions concerning Rathayatra:
1. The Rathayatra begins at Noon at the corner of Light street and Key Highway behind the Science Center at Baltimores' Inner Harbor. However, the Deities will be arriving at approximately 11:00a.m. Please try to come at that time so the Deities can enjoy kirtan while They are preparing to be pulled.
2. Be prepared to walk for about 1 1/2-2 hours.
3. In case it's hot and sunny, bring a hat, sunscreen, water bottle, etc. The seating area at the festival will be covered by tents.
4. In case of rain, the Rathayatra and Festival WILL go on.
5. Please bring fresh and dry fruits and nuts (uncooked) for offerings to be made to the Deities throughout the afternoon.
6. Bring your own instruments such as mrdangas, karatals, gongs, etc.
7. Concerning parking, there are several parking lots in the area. Keep your eyes open for signs directing you to parking facilities. There is plenty of paid metered street, garage parking, free street parking within 2 - 3 blocks of the festival site.
8. Several Indian and devotional gift vendors, the Bhaktivedanta Archives as well as ISKCON project booths will be at the festival. Please support these businesses and projects.
9. A FREE blood pressure testing booth along with several volunteer doctors will be on hand to provide their services.
10. If you have any questions contact Sunanda Das at 410/719-1776, Sreyas Panchigar at 443/506-2600 or Pradyumna Das at 410/833-8609.
New York Ratha yatra Bus Trip
When: Saturday June 14th 2008, 4:30 am Mangal Arati , 5 am Boarding begins, 5:30 am buses depart for NY from the ISKCON Temple in Potomac, MD.
The New York Rathyatra is one of the largest Rathyatras on the East coast which has been going on for about 40 years.
As in years past, the Hare Krishna Temple in Potomac, MD is organizing a day trip to NY Rathyatra/Festival of India in deluxe buses.
Cost for bus ride is $65 which includes complete break fast, drinks and some snack prasadam on the way back. Lunch will be provided by New York ISKCON Temple at Festival of India site in Manhattan.
Please reserve your seats ASAP to avoid disappointment. To reserve you seats please contact: Caitanya Nitai Das (Laksuman Bhandari) Phone: 240-476-6540, 301-765-8948, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also take the train, bus or drive but it may cost more, and you might not get nice prasadam and participate in kirtans along the way. Bring the whole family.
For information on the NY Hare Krishna Temple and NY Rathyatra.
Learn more about the Rathyatra tradition :
Video from last years Rath yatra in NY
Yours in service, Nilesh