What we're about
Welcome to East Bay Hiking Meetup! This group is all about hiking for fun and fitness. We hike on weekday mornings...and also on weekends. If you love to hike, this is the group for you!
Some things you should know about the group:
• Hikes will normally be in the 4 - 10 mile range.
• We average a speed of 2.5 - 3.0 mph.
• Each hike posted will indicate the length and difficulty you can expect. Please be considerate of other’s time and only sign up for hikes within your physical ability that you can complete within the time allotted.
• We wait at trail junctions to keep the group together, but as soon as stragglers are within sight the group will start off.
• There will be hills! You will need to be comfortable walking up and down steep hills.
• Most hikes are held in our beautiful East Bay Regional Parks with some excursions into State Parks and water district properties such as EBMUD and CCWD. We also occasionally organize urban hikes and trips to other regional park systems.
• Most hikes, but not all, will be DOG FRIENDLY and allow off-leash hiking. Some hikes will be on-leash and some will not allow dogs at all. Each hike will be clearly marked as either Dogs Off-leash, Dogs On-leash, or No Dogs.
• We are not professional hike leaders and don't have first-aid training. Participants must be responsible for their own safety and well-being.
This is a very social group. We like to talk, laugh, and enjoy ourselves while getting our exercise out on the trail. In the Bay Area we are incredibly lucky to be surrounded by hundreds of thousands of acres of open space filled with hiking trails. Join us as we explore and meet new friends!
PLEASE READ LIABILITY DISCLAIMER:
By joining East Bay Hiking Meetup you agree to the following:
1. I acknowledge that the group organizer and assistant organizers for this group are NOT guides or trip leaders. We have no training or qualifications as guides or trip leaders. East BayHiking Meetup is a social group for organizing hikes. All hikers are responsible for themselves, their dog(s), their guest(s) and any event that occurs to or because of them.
2. I agree to abide by the rules of the park where the hike is held.
3. I acknowledge that I and other participants may be engaging in activities that involve risk of serious injury to me, my dog(s) and/or guests, or someone outside of the group or some other animal, including permanent disability and death. I understand that these risks may be increased through my own actions, or through the negligent action or inaction of East Bay Hiking Meetup participants, its members or other representatives. If I bring/invite a guest who has not released liability through the meetup group, I agree that I am solely responsible for their and or their dog(s) including their actions and safety. It is highly recommended that each participant sign up for an event through the meetup site.
4. I hereby RELEASE and DISCHARGE from liability East Bay Hiking Meetup, the group organizer and hike organizers, their officers, members/other participants, sponsors, and employees; and owners and lessors of facilities used by East Bay Hiking Meetup, from any and all liability claims, demands or causes of action that you now have or may have in the future, for injuries, damages, death and/or economic loss of any kind or nature, arising in whole or part out of the activities advice or information contained herein, even if caused in whole or in part by their negligence.
5. California Civil Code section 1542 states; “A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.” I specifically waive the terms of that section, and agree to Release claims that I may not yet know of, or which may be based on events that have not yet occurred.
6. If I am allowing children under the age of 18 or any guest, to participate in this hike, I agree on their behalf to the terms of this Release. I agree that if, notwithstanding this Release, I, the minor, or anyone on the minor’s behalf, or my guest, makes a claim against any of the persons or entities Released, I will indemnify those persons and entities and hold them harmless against all expenses, damage or costs, including attorneys fees, arising out of that claim.
7. You further agree that if you or someone under your supervision uses the information on this website you assume all risks of injury, damage, and economic loss, without limitation, and release providers from all liability therefore.
8. Organizers choose locations and routes, but it is up to you to decide whether the event is appropriate for you to attend. Ultimately you are responsible for your own safety.
I HAVE READ THE East Bay Hiking Meetup LIABILITY DISCLAIMER AND WILL ABIDE BY ALL RULES AND POLICIES AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THAT I ASSUME ALL RISKS FOR ANY INJURIES RECEIVED AND AGREE TO ACCEPT FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.