We play rally scoring to 21 points, switch sides every 7 points, attempt 3 hits per side (when appropriate), calling the ball, etc. If you are only seeking “jungle ball” style play, then perhaps another group would be a better fit. Jungle ball is most often defined as: using illegal touches, always 1 hit per side, net violations allowed, etc.
We are seeking minimum level of play from everyone. This includes:
- ability to serve the ball consistently
- understanding the techniques and movements for “3 touches per side”, specifically:
- 1st touch: legal dig of the ball, attempting a pass to the setter
- 2nd touch: setter receives the pass and attempts to set to the left or right hitter
- 3rd touch: hitters are in position to receive the set and attack with an offensive hit
- effectively communicating with your teammates to avoid collisions and create positive outcomes
- calling your own “faults” or “violations” (blatant faults can be pointed out by any player)
If you are a beginner who may want to develop intermediate skills, please let us know, and we will provide a volunteer coach to assist you in developing any volleyball skills you request. If one is not available, then any intermediate player should be willing to provide helpful instruction between matches.
We strive for even teams to promote competitive play. Players will be divided by the meetup group organizers present. “Rigging” of teams (that is, intentionally grouping yourself with 1 or more specific players) is not allowed.