addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Desktop to Mobile Theme Plugin Switcher

Desktop to Mobile Theme Plugin Switcher

Kirk T.
Kirktalon
Roseville, MI
Post #: 11
Hi Folks,

I am wanting to know if anyone has used this technique to have accommodate both desktop and mobile viewers of their WordPress websites?

I have a client who is looking to have his desktop Thesis WordPress theme work in mobile devices like his Smartphone. Don't know how to do that yet so I started Googling for answers.

I ran across this website http://studio.kristarella.com/product/thesis-mobile-child-theme/­ which talks about how to do that specifically with the Thesis theme.

One thing it says is essential is a plugin called Mobile Smart at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mobile-smart/­.

The Mobile Smart plugin switches the theme if it detects a mobile device. It allows for only doing that with smartphones leaving tablets to use the desktop layout if you like. It also lets you give the end user the option of manually deciding to switch back and forth from the mobile theme.

Anybody done his or something like this. Looks like it could work with non thesis themes as well.

I'm excited about being able to give myself and my clients both.

Thanks,

Kirk

BJ S.
user 11778703
Ferndale, MI
Post #: 1
Hi Kirk

I wanted to do something similar by having my mobile theme on the same installation as my main theme. The plugin I used was WPtap Mobile Detector. The issue I was having caused the mobile theme to show up on all devices, not just mobile. Plus I want the full site on tablets. So thank you for this recommendation, I going to give it a try.

Regards,

Billy