addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Metro Detroit WordPress Meetup Message Board › Thesis theme

Thesis theme

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 1
I am looking for a new theme and talked to someone at the meetup about Thesis, but I don't remember who it was. Anyways, I am trying to figure out the difference between the premium Thesis theme and the free one. Any other recommendations? I am leaning toward a magazine style theme.
A former member
Post #: 2
I am looking for a new theme and talked to someone at the meetup about Thesis, but I don't remember who it was. Anyways, I am trying to figure out the difference between the premium Thesis theme and the free one. Any other recommendations? I am leaning toward a magazine style theme.

Just realized that I am mixing up Thesis and Thematic. Would still like to hear theme recommendations. . .
TJ L.
TJList
Clarkston, MI
Post #: 6
To my knowledge, Thesis does not have a free version. I have no experience with the Thematic theme.

The little work I have done with Thesis is that it is much more complicated to manage for the average user.
1. The installation REQUIRES using an FTP program (you can't just upload it from within WordPress).
2. There are a LOT of pieces on the control panel, and it can be overwhelming for someone just starting out.

I don't want to get partisan, but there was falling out between the Thesis developer and the WordPress community. I know developers who love Thesis, and I know others who hate it.

Since you are asking for recommendations, here are two more.

If you are serious about a them that you customize yourself you can check out Catalyst (recently renamed from Frugal http://frugaltheme.co...­) or Headway (http://headwaythemes....­. Both are premium themes with plenty of features and good support.

Good luck!
Deborah E.
user 11526574
Canton, MI
Post #: 1
Hi Cindi,

I used Thematic last year for a small site. Thematic is a free framework, which provides lots of customization options. A Thematic child theme allows you to further customize the site.

Several free child themes are available on the Thematic site, and of course, you can create your own. The concept is you don't edit the core files, rather you edit the child theme files. Depends on your requirements for the site what theme will work best for your audience.

Was there something specific about child themes or Thematic that you were looking for?
A former member
Post #: 3
Since I only get to play with this for 3 months every year, I need to choose a standard and then make child themes from that. In particular, need a grid home page, good search and clean archives all wrapped up with validation. I've wrote my own themes before so "shopping" for a pre-made one is overwhelming. Somehow I thought this would be easier.