addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Miami Kayak Club Message Board The Miami Kayaking Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Inflatables

Inflatables

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 38
I'm thinking about buying the Sea Eagle 370 and I'd like to hear what more experienced paddlers have to say about such a boat. The main reason I'm thinking about buying an inflatable is ease of transport. I drive a very small, leased, car and thus roof transport is not really possible. I'm also concerned about being able to wrangle a regular kayak on and off the roof on my own anyway.

I do have concerns regarding the purchase of the Sea Eagle. For example, am I going to be very limited in the areas in which I can use it? For example, am I going to be able to use in say the Everglades, or kayaking in the keys and the Florida Bay, etc? How about kayak camping in the same areas?

Tia!

June
Miles
user 4036178
Group Organizer
Miami, FL
Post #: 24
Inflaltables do not compare well with solid kayaks in these areas
They are slow, and have a lot of drag. Some with fixed frames are not so bad But all are slower than a solid kayak
They often ride high in the water and therefore are blown around by the wind.
They are not as durable. A sharp stick or rock or oyster bar can ruin your boat, possibly leaving your stranded.
And finally the material will simply wear out. It may take years and years, but it will wear out much faster than solid plastic or wooden kayaks.
The advantages are that they are easy to stow.
I strongly recomend that you buy a solid kayak. Used boats can be bought for around $400-500 range. I recomend that if you are serious about kakyaking, that you do not buy a boat under 14ft The longer boats are faster. And faster means that you can paddle further in a day
As to your car. You can buy cheap racks from wallmart for around $30.
Or you can rent boats through the club. I strongly suggest that you rent a boat, go on a camping trip, then decide.
A former member
Post #: 39
Thank you!