addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Milwaukee NonFiction Book Club Message Board › Circulate Our Books?

Circulate Our Books?

Sharon
user 2568267
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 30
Hi all,

Considering how many other great non-fiction books I've seen referred to here and mentioned in just the two meetings I've been to with the club, I'm wondering what anyone thinks of interested and willing members bringing one or more of their nonfiction books of the sort we read and vote on here for others of the group to borrow?

Sharon
Elizabeth
Lyzz
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 21
I think that's a great idea Sharon.
David D.
user 76416142
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Hello, Sharon:

A lending library among us is, indeed, a great idea. If you bring the subject up at the next meeting, we can discuss how best to do this, i.e., lists of what is available for lending from each of us, return policies, etc.

I have several hundred books that I can make available, both fiction and non-fiction. Of course, it will take a while to create a list by category but I think that this will be worthwhile.

David Drews
Sharon
user 2568267
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 31
Hi David, Ok! I'll bring it up next time. I had originally been thinking that whoever's loaning out books could informally keep track of their own, but maybe there is greater interest and someone ambitious enough to compile the right sort of database. I see there's a place for storing group files on Meetup. Anyone familiar with that? One simple way could be to store long lists of what's available as a file (just for reference) and everyone still could keep track of their own books in a way that makes sense for them.

Sharon
Susan B.
user 26200752
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 1
Sharon, I'm a librarian by training, one profession from my past…
I would be willing to keep track on a virtual library.
Susan
Sharon
user 2568267
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 34
Thanks, Susan! Do you have any ideas on how we can get started on something like this?
Elizabeth
Lyzz
Kenosha, WI
Post #: 25
Sharon - a peek at iPhone apps show there are at least 3 that could be of help:
1) BookHouse by LinkedSensibility
2) iBibliotecary by Claunia.com
3) Book Manager w Barcode scanner by Starsoft

We could either use them as a guide for creating our own database, or see if there is a way someone could host the group's titles as their own personal collection, or something else? Does anyone have experience using one of these (or something like it? Librarything? Does Goodreads have a circ/loaning feature?)
Susan B.
user 26200752
Milwaukee, WI
Post #: 2
Thank you! Allow me to investigate these apps.