addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The London Movie Meetup Group Message Board › Introduce yourself! (Plus your top 3 films!)

Introduce yourself! (Plus your top 3 films!)

Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 195

I suggest '2007' with George Bush as big brother

Or, even better...

I suggest putting George Bush in the Big Brother house, "forget" to feed him then lock the door and run away!

laughing

Or better still, put him and Jade Goody in there together forever and the rest of us could turn on the TV whenever we wanted to feel intellegent compared to others.
Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 196

I guess I tend to go for the darker side of life. I would kill myself if I had Notting Hill or Love Actually in my collection.
*Notes down screenplay idea- bloke who wakes up from a coma with amnesia, feels a new lease of life then kills himself when he goes home and finds Notting Hill and Love Actually in his DVD collection*

As for George Bush etc, I suggest we put Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, George W (we all know what the W stands for!!) Bush and Dick Cheney on an island with explosives around their necks and say that they need to fight each other but in fact we then simply 'PRESS THE BUTTON'. We could call it "Battle Royale 3 - Kill The Bastard Dictators". What do you reckon?
I think this is Blair's best option for his next career move so far.
I did like the have I got news for you quote that he couldn't go back to being a barrister becuase 'if he stood up and said this bloke's innocent, what jury would believe him now?'

Does the W stand for 'Winona', meaning 'will pinch stuff and make shit excuses for it' as was the case with Iraq's soverignty?
John G
jgbreezer
London, GB
Post #: 7
Terminator 2
Matrix (1st one only)
The Incredibles (most easily rewatchable of my faves, the best Pixar one - yes, beats Toy Story, although Monsters, Inc is great too, and the best superhero movie I've ever seen.. (perhaps except for one of the Spiderman's))
Gladiator
The Shawshank Redemption
Leon
Casablanca
Spirited Away
Schindler's List

Err.. There's only 9 'cos I was having too many arguments with myself over the last one to include. As you can see I like action movies and special effects quite a bit. There's also still some major anime type films I need to see before I can be sure to place Spirited Away there (eg Akira), but I had to include at least one of that type cos I'm beginning to love them.

Worst? Maybe slightly controversially, but from my imdb votes, and the ones I can remember: The Hulk.
I just can't watch it for long enough to get to the bit where he goes green, despite the gorgeousness of Jennifer Connelly. Fast-forwarding to that bit doesn't really allow it much grace either. That annoyed me more than another turkey, Robocop 3 (which I didn't expect to be much cop (ho ho), law of diminishing returns and all).
Sandra D.
SandeyDee
Hertford, GB
Post #: 31

As for George Bush etc, I suggest we put Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, George W (we all know what the W stands for!!) Bush and Dick Cheney on an island with explosives around their necks and say that they need to fight each other but in fact we then simply 'PRESS THE BUTTON'. We could call it "Battle Royale 3 - Kill The Bastard Dictators". What do you reckon?

All the best

Rich F

Dude, you're a f***ing genius! biggrin

....As long as Battle Royale 3 still has pretty Japanese boys in it, Sandey's happy! laughing
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 242
Hi John,

Surely 'Pearl Harbour' must be up there for the worst. And yes, I must stop calling you Shirley. Either that or 'Sargeant Bilko' starring Steve Martin. Obviously most people are now shouting "The worst film is Norbit, you Norbit.", but as I haven't seen it, I would hate to judge it harshly. Oh, alright then, Norbit is the worst film ever.

Any other turkeys?

Rich F
Gabriel
gabrieldasilva
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 197
*Starts 'worst film' hall of shame thread*
A former member
Post #: 3
Sandra - great to see all those Bowie films in your list!!

Mine are currently:

Mulholland Drive

Don't Look Now

Vertigo

(Man Who Fell to Earth - just to get it in there!)
Sandra D.
SandeyDee
Hertford, GB
Post #: 47
Sandra - great to see all those Bowie films in your list!!

Hooray! A man with good taste! wink

Vertigo is good too, I forgot about all those hitchcock films. There's just too much to mention, really.
Anne-Lise
user 3679493
London, GB
Post #: 5
Hi there,
After two manic weeks, I finally have some time to catch up with you guys.
Naming just favourite 3 films is really hard... Looking at my DVD collections, here are some titles, in disorder:
Secret and Lies
Raining Stones
Brazil
Schindler's List
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Requiem for a Dream
Buffalo Soldiers
Fight Club
Lost in Translation
La Haine
Amélie
Read my lips

On top of my head, I would also had the following titles:
the 25th hour
Jude the Obscure (and just about anything with Kate Winslet)
Edward Scissorhands (and just about anything with Johnny Depp)

This is definitely not a complete list, but a fair representation of my taste.
Oh, and can I add "the holiday" (the only Kate Winslet movie I detest) to your list of films to burn??
Tristán W.
user 2575397
London, GB
Post #: 1

No, I can think of much better places for them. Stick them in that prison in Carandiru. Or Midnight Express, even. :-)

Introductions: well, I have only ever been to one meeting, and that was ages and ages ago, when we went to see "Goodnight. And Good Luck". I will be coming to one of these newer ones soon, but am very busy at the moment. :-(

I'm a screenwriter - some of you may have heard of the free nights for comedy writers I help run every other Tuesday (approx), if not then send me an email to tristan dot white at gmail dotcom - next one is this coming Tuesday 22nd in London Bridge.