addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Leeds Movie Fans Meetup Group Message Board › Suggest a movie.

Suggest a movie.

Jonathan
user 77985892
Leeds, GB
Post #: 1
Thought it might be fun to have a movie chain. Put down three movies you like, and three guilty pleasure movies, and the next person has to suggest a movie for you, and does the same.
Hopefully some of the movies people recommend will persuade others to watch them.

Will start the ball rolling. Here are my three guilty pleasures.
Amelie. like a bit of romance, and this one does it for me. French, quirky, and endearing. Want the world to be like this.

The princess bride. They have tried to capture this feeling in other films like stardust, but nothing can come close to the original. A great fantasy tale, with an epic sword fight.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Charlie's Angels2. The film is dire, but for years it has been my go to film of I need cheering up. Dancing, sword fights, explosions. It has a 4.7 on Imdb, and would give it lower, but it makes me smile. This was a hard choice, was choice between this and the Britishness of Shawn of the Dead.

Three less guilty movies.
Perfume. Have only seen this a couple of times, but one of the few movies that totally absorbed me. A bit of a marmite film, you either love it or hate it.

Le Bossu. Rate this above Seven Samurai. Though the latter is better, the former is happier, and more watchable if you want to see it more than once. Period film with swords, ok plot, and a little romance.

Stranger than fiction. I was going to put Donnie Darco, or Orlando, but the plot of this film, and how it was filmed I prefer. The set design in Orlando is fantastic, the way Donnie Darco changes you mind is great, but this film is just crafted well, and has a feel good factor.

I would like some escapism. Last two films I have seen have been rather depressing. Need a film with a good plot, a little romance that ends well, and some fantasy or period aspect. Swords are a bonus, and no horror. Before somebody suggests it, not the sargasso manuscript, as watched that recently.

Siobhan
user 14619376
Leeds, GB
Post #: 4
Hi Jonathan,

Superman: The Movie is my favourite film, it never ceases to make me smile.

Airplane is my guilty pleasure. I laugh just thinking about it.

As four the third....any of the Bourne films. Or Kill Bill....not sure which.

I know none of these are the the works best films but they're all films I would watch any night of the week if they happened to be TV.
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 803
Jonathon, I reckon one film that encapsulates all those categories is Jason & The Argonauts. Sibhan have you seen Shutter Island?
I don't have any guilty pleasures except for stuff I watched with my brothers and sisters growing up, for example Carry On Camel. "Mustafah Leak!"
Jonathan
user 77985892
Leeds, GB
Post #: 2
Siobhan, thank you for the reminder. Will dig out Airplane, have not seen that in years. Also off to see 'the worlds end'.
Siobhan
user 14619376
Leeds, GB
Post #: 5
Yes I have seen shutter island. That, along with Mulholland Dr, are the two fills in which I have genuinely had no idea what was going on!
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 804
cool I watched Mulholland Drive 2 days ago when there was nowt on TV. You could analyse it to your heart's content, and I love to, but some aspects of it really do not make sense in terms of a linear plot, so are purely symbolism. For example two sets of actresses playing the same character (Diane Selwyn/Camilla Rhodes). I'm going to do a review of MDr. next for my movie website http://www.pc-tuition...­ so will have a good think about what the film stands for. Its a cracking movie, having said that, I love it when the audience cannot get away with being passive and has to put some work in to figure out what is going on.
As for Shutter Island I bought that for £3 on Monday so I'll have another over the weekend: I remember it was my favourite movie for the year it was released. Unlike M Dr., I think that movie does make sense, or at least it can be explained in terms of a linear plot.
Frankie
user 8204205
Group Organizer
Leeds, GB
Post #: 805
My take on Mullholland Drive can be seen here http://pc-tuition.co....­.
I watched Shutter Island when I got in tonight, it really is a superb movie, as good as I remembered it.
Siobhan
user 14619376
Leeds, GB
Post #: 6
That was £3 very well spent. One day I'll watch MD again.....it's just a matter of finding the right time to have my head scrambled