900 S Alex Rd, West Carrollton, OH
You must Register with Great Miami Outfitters as advance registration and payment is required.
Build upon the skills you developed in Great Miami Outfitters’ Basic Skills Rescue and Re-entry Workshop. In the Advanced Workshop, we will focus on how to prevent yourself from capsizing in your kayak. Note that this is a skirted course – each participant will be taught how to safely and comfortably execute a controlled wet exit while wearing a spray skirt.
WE WILL COVER:
Over the course of this 2-hour session we will demonstrate and you will learn and practice these techniques and maneuvers helping you to become a better and more confident paddler.
• Wet exits WITH skirts
• Bow rescues
• Edging vs, Leaning
• Low braces
• High braces
• And on-water practice time
WORKSHOP DATES & TIMES
Includes 2-hour session
Sunday, February 26, 2017
Session is from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
Plan to arrive by 4:00 PM
West Carrollton YMCA – INDOOR POOL
900 S. Alex Road
West Carrollton, OH[masked]
Advanced Skills Workshop:
$50.00 per participant, class is limited to 6 participants.
NOTICE: Your yes RSVP to this event on the Ohio Paddlers web site does not secure your placement into this class. You must Register with Great Miami Outfitters as advance registration and payment is required.
Cost includes one 2-hour session.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
Full refunds will be issued if you cancel by Friday, March 10th; Sorry, no refund for cancellation on or after March 11th.
NOTE: If Great Miami Outfitters cancels this course for any reason, a FULL refund will be issued. We prepare for our courses and trips at least one-week in advance. This includes staging equipment, coordinating with instructors and trip-leaders, and reviewing all paperwork. Because of this preparation, we cannot offer refunds for the course or trip if you cancel within one-week of the date of course or the pre-trip meeting for a trip. We are more than happy to offer you your equipment fee back. This policy allows us to continue to offer the best experience for all of our participants.
EQUIPMENT FEE (IF NEEDED)
Advance Skills Workshop: If you need equipment, the cost is only $30.00 per participant per course, includes the following in limited supplies: kayak, PFD, paddle, paddle float, bilge pump, webbing, and neoprene spray-skirt.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED FOR ADVANCED SKILLS WORKSHOP:
You may bring your own kayak and equipment, but it must: Be in good, workable condition, and arrive thoroughly cleaned inside and outside before entry into pool is allowed. It will be inspected. No exceptions!
The following is required for this workshop:
1. Kayak with at least one bulkhead
3. PFD – Life Jacket
4. Spray Skirt (preferably neoprene)
5. Sling (15 feet of tubular webbing)
6. Paddle Float
7. Nose Plugs (optional but recommended)
8. Bilge Pump (optional but recommended)
9. You may also want to bring a change of clothes, a towel, and a water bottle.
ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
Each participant must satisfy the following essential eligibility criteria:
• Be able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities listed in the course outline while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position.
• Be able to hold their breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position keeping their head above water.
• Be able to effectively communicate with the instructor and other course participants.
• Be able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
• Be able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
For more information call (937)[masked] or EMAIL: [masked]
COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT:
Great Miami Outfitters is committed to preserving and protecting the natural world. To accomplish this, our programs and events are waste free. We ask that our participants use re-usable items such as water bottles, cups, plates, and utensils. We will provide receptacles for compost, recycling, and any remaining land-fill waste. Thank you for help in protecting our outdoor spaces that we all enjoy.
* Times and dates are subject to change with pool schedule.