I think it is time to remind people of the purpose of the Memoir Group. We were away for a few months and now that we are back to the regular time slot here are the rules:
1. This is a MEMOIR group. Not a personal essay, or non-fiction or fiction group. We will meet to discuss and critique each other's works in progress. There are several other groups within the Writer's Meetup that focus on those aspects of writing and you are welcome to attend them.
2. We are here to encourage and critique each other's work with a goal to help the author achieve success however the author deems their work a success. Not everyone wants to publish their work.
3. This is not a place for work that is already published. We can offer no critique on work already completed. That is NOT the purpose of this group.
4. We are also NOT a place to advertise your profession as it relates to writing. This group is on a limited time frame to complete the day's readings. If you wish to promote your professional work you can do so as a sponsor of the Writers Meetup Group. Contact Michael Turner, the organizer of the Nashville Writer's Meetup Group on the main website.
5. And finally, please please please bring copies of your work to share with those attending. If you do not have access to a printer contact me by the Friday before and I will print out enough copies for everyone. If you do not bring copies of your work it makes it difficult to give your work a good critique and you may not get to read at the meeting. Make sure it is no more than 5 pages, double spaced and with one inch margins. Again, this is due to time constraints.
6. Critiques are done one person at a time. Please wait until the person currently doing the critique is done before you begin your critique. This allows everyone to complete their thoughts.
7. Finally, and most importantly, since we are getting the space for free at Portland Brew East it would be nice if we patronized them by at least purchasing something while there. They are kind enough to let us have the space for 1-1/2 hours and not get upset when we monopolize their limited seating space. Sometimes it can get loud there depending on how busy they are. It is not always so.
Thanks for attending and see you all soon.