addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Chicago Natural Building Meetup Group Message Board The Chicago Natural Building Meetup Group Discussion Forum › Abbe Warre beekeeping from pre 1950's

Abbe Warre beekeeping from pre 1950's

Peter
user 11164950
Antioch, IL
Post #: 7
Hey all,

I have been working on beekeeping for the first time ever and I thought that I would share some information.

I decided to try the Warre system. I downloaded the information and built four complete hives. I started out with two packages of bees in May. Just three weeks ago I split one of my hives and then I collected a swarm. I now have four hives. I am building four more Warre hives at the moment, just built one Langstroth from a kit, and will be building two more Langstroth hives but they will be different from the kit. The two Langstroths I will be building will be made from 2 x 8 cedar and have a insulated quilt for the top which traditional Langstroths do not have. I will be placing these into service in the spring of 2012. Traditional hives are built of 3/4" pine and do not have very good insulating properties, they also have moisture issues. The quilt is a level with a screen bottom that is 3" thick filled with wood shavings. This provides insulation and collects moisture. I will post some pics when I can and I will possibly be inviting the group out to learn how to build the Warre hives.

Talk to you soon,

Peter