We’re running this workshop in partnership with Government to identify and lower barriers for disruptive businesses as they look to grow. FinTech will be one of the first areas in a new “Challenger Businesses” Programme – sponsored by No10, Cabinet Office and BIS. It will kick on from a financial innovation seminar hosted at No10 earlier this year.
This is our opportunity to get into the detail of how the rules, regulations, and business environment need to evolve to support the latest financial technology innovations. It is a great opportunity for us to help bring about the changes needed to promote FinTech Challenger Businesses. Ministers have committed to looking at the outputs from the workshop, so let’s seize the opportunity. You can read more about the Challenger Businesses in the accompanying Briefing Paper.
The aim of the workshop is to work through specific challenges in an open, constructive way, joined by representatives from regulators and government to create a platform for action. We will update the event listing as attendees are confirmed, but we expect good representation from the following: HM Treasury, FCA, No10, Cabinet Office, and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
Applying to attend
· This is an application only workshop as the spaces are limited; please message us at [masked] if you would like to attend. Please briefly tell us about yourself, your organisation and why you feel you would be well suited to contribute to the workshop; please describe your experience with the relevant rules and regulations that need attention. Please read the Briefing Paper before you apply.
· Even if you can’t attend, we would encourage you to submit comments in advance of the workshop. Early sight of your views will enable us to secure the right attendance from across Government and Regulators
· The deadline for applications is Friday 18th October. We’ll announce the final Delegate list on Monday 21st October
· It's essential that you read the Briefing Paper before you attend the workshop, we'll also have printed copies to work from on the day.
· Please submit specific comments on the document to the team ahead of the workshop [masked]. Again this will enable the Government and Regulator’s representatives to prepare ahead of the event
· If there are any comments you wish to talk through in advance of the event, the team would also welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please message either Chris Lane [[masked]] or myself, if this is the case.
Please be aware that the agenda is subject to change
Tea, Coffee, drinks and breakfast pastries will be provided
9:00 Welcome address and Introduction
· Lord Young, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Enterprise
· Eddie George, Organiser, NewFinance
9:15 Roundtable discussions
We propose to hold six simultaneous roundtable discussions, each of six Delegates selected for their relevant expertise to address the following FinTech market segments:
2. Payments, FX, Money Transfer
3. Business Intelligence
4. Bitcoin / Virtual Currencies
5. Working Capital for SME’s
6. Online Challenger Banks
We’ll appoint Team leaders to moderate and we will provide support to document the output from the discussions. Please see the Briefing Paper for further information on the background and questions for this session
11:15 Presentations and Discussions
We’ll ask each Team Leader to present their table's responses to the group for open discussion and further brainstorming on preferred solutions.
12.00 Workshop end
For those who do not have to shoot off there will be an opportunity for further discussion and networking opportunities, including a sandwich buffet and drinks
· We'll publish an open document that captures the workshop output for reference
· We’ll keep you all in the loop on developments from the Challenger Businesses Programme
This is a great opportunity to be heard for those of you starting and running FinTech Challenger Businesses. We look forward to reading your submissions