addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Seattle New In Town Message Board › Need tips and suggestions for landing work from afar

Need tips and suggestions for landing work from afar

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello,

I hope I'm not breaking any group laws by not actually being in Seattle (yet)!

I grew up partly in the northwest (Spokane and Montana - Air Force brat). I'm a technical writer here in the Kansas City area, with an MA in English. Roughly five years of experience.

I know trying to land a tech writing job in Seattle is a bit insane. Nevertheless I love Seattle and have a couple friends there, and I'm trying to expand my network and figure out ways of getting past the easy dismissal and at least start landing some phone interviews. I've only just begun applying for jobs in the past 2-3 weeks, so any advice is welcome.

I'm a bit leery of temp agencies, mostly as I hate the idea of giving up a full-time job for a part-time or temporary one, but I'll take them more seriously if that turns out to be the only really viable way for an out of towner to land a job in Seattle.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!