addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NORTHWEST NATURE Hikes in the North Cascades & Olympics Message Board › No Shows on Hikes... :-(

No Shows on Hikes... :-(

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Hi Guys,

I am going to try to keep this note as un-frustrated as possible, but I am admittedly very aggravated about the no-shows yesterday. So, let me air a few things out first.

1 - Hike Limits: These are necessary, and will not go away. There are rules enforced by the Rangers of the Forestry Service and other Wilderness Area services, and I fully intend to abide by them to the letter, with no exceptions. We are all responsible for keeping these trails beautiful and passable, and following the rules (like hiker limits, and whether or not you can bring your dog) helps to keep the areas stable and enjoyable for everyone. So, regardless of the flack I receive from the members, these hike limits are staying, and will continue to be used on hike postings.

2 - Family Emergencies, Work Stuff, and other reasons for not coming: These things happen, and have happened to me. A few of you dropped out at the last minute, and I appreciate your notes letting us know you won't be there. This is all I ask. If you cannot come at the last minute, please email / call me. I can be emailed through the meetup, and I post my cell number for all hikes - so please just let me know if you will not be attending, so that we don't all hang around the Park and Ride waiting for you.

3 - Wait Lists: I will continue to do my best on the Waitlisting, but it is not a perfect science, and I have contacted Meetup to try to get better functionality in place to have this done automatically.

OK - all of that being said, here is what will happen moving forward. If you have RSVP'd yes, then do not show up for the event and have not somehow notified me that you cannot attend (even if you have to just leave a voicemail or text), I will be tagging you as a no-show on your profile. This may seem a little spiteful, but I have heard good success feedback from other organizers across the country with hiking groups with similar attendee limits on this method. Basically, if you get three No-Shows, I will have to suspend you from the group for 3 months. I know this sounds harsh - but please think about the work that goes into planning these hikes, and the time it takes to juggle the waitlisting manually, contacting everyone when someone drops from the RSVP List to get the next person in line fairly in the "Yes" group, etc.

So, I do understand that some of you will grumble, some of you will even write me nasty emails, and some will leave the group. I understand this - honestly I do - BUT, with all of the noise I heard about the limits, and the work put into the waitlisting, I must do something to make it fair for everyone, and this is the action I am choosing.

Thanks to everyone for participating in our group. We always have fun out there, and keep safety first, and I consistently come away with a great feeling about the folks I meet out there on the trails. I anticipate a great season of hiking and backpacking ahead of us, and want to be sure that as many of you as possible get to participate.

Thanks for your understanding,

Christine Brown
ESSPH