Our monthly excursion to the Golden Fleece on Mansfield Road for their weekly pub quiz run by Al Needham, editor of local magazine the Left Lion.
Our meetup begins at 8:30 so we can organise teams and get a drink before the quiz starts at 9pm and usually finishes around 11 - 11:30.
It's £2 per team to take part with a 50p surcharge for every member after the first 6 and if there are lots of us, we may split into two teams. The prize is 8 pints of beer or other drinks to be shared amongst the team and is presented in vouchers which last a month; so they can be used at the next event if it's getting late by the time the winner is announced.
Here is the regular structure of the quiz to give you an idea of what it'll be like and a chance to do some swotting up if you want. There are usually 8 rounds with a break mid-way:
- Picture round - anything from film stills to premium rate phone-line adverts
- This day in history (pronounced "istreh") - Wikipedia is a good source for events and Birthdays from this date
- Name 5 of the Top 10 of something - 2 bonus points for getting the top 5
- TV theme tunes from the last four decades played backwards
- Pop songs played on the Bontempi organ by the quizmaster's nana in the Meadows
- Lucky Bag of Randomness - though Q26 is always what colours are on a certain flag
- Current affairs - the news for the previous week
- General knowledge - linked by a different theme every week