This ride is by organizer selection... so you must have ridden with us a number of times previously to be considered for this ride. Put yourself on the waiting list to be considered.
Halloween Ride Quick Start Guide:
1) Decorate your bike and yourself in costume: It's a Halloween Bicycle Parade... the more creative the better. Just don't let any of it interfere with your ability to ride safely.
2) Decorate your bike BEFORE arriving to the ride: We can't wait for you to put lights on your bike at City Hall. If you need prep time, show up earlier. Normally I would be all "sure, we can wait"... this is the one ride I can't do that.
3) Be on time for the ride: Arrive prior to 5:30, we roll at 5:45 sharp (I am leaving work early this day). We have to leave early to maximize the number of "trick or treaters" that will see us. Normally I would be all "sure, we can wait"... this is the one ride I can't do that.
4) Not required: But if you want to hand out something to the Parents of the Kiddies... you can bring Glow Sticks. I will be bringing 200 glow sticks and you all can help me hand them out. Please... No candy gets handed to children (for obvious creepy reasons).
5) YOU MUST HAVE A LIGHT THAT IS AT LEAST 100 LUMENS and HAVE IT CHARGED UP: Please please please do this. If you don't know what the difference is between a "light you can see with" and a "light to be seen by" go swing by your bike store of choice and talk to them (and bring the light if you own one that you are asking about).
6) Please also plan on hanging out for the Ride after the Ride: TBD
The Halloween Stuff:
NOTE : Sunset @ 6:08pm
The ride route will be approximately 15 miles at a Halloween pace.
Route (Download your own GPX or TPX files):
The Meeting Spot:
Arrive @ Alexandria City Hall by 5:30pm
Get bikes ready and rolling @ 5:45pm
We will meet at the fountain @ Alexandria City Hall.
Please note that there is usually ample parking in the garage located directly below City Hall for $5.00 all evening. However, give yourself plenty of extra time to find other parking if the garage below city hall is full.
Ride Level Chart:
A note about our ride levels. We try to accommodate all levels of cyclists with different types of rides. We just ask that you come to the ride that suits your current riding ability the best.
Introductory Level : If you haven't ridden a bike in a number of years (or are uncertain of your abilities on a bicycle).
Beginner Level : If you can easily ride your bike for 10 miles (distance) with some minor hills at a comfortable pace (10+ to 12+ mph).
Medium Level : If you can do 20 miles pretty easily at a moderate pace (13 to 15+ mph)
Advanced Level : If you can do 20++ miles easily at a 15+ pace and / or handle various challenges as rain, night riding, or other odd cycling situations.
The Fine Print:
An RSVP of 'YES' is your digital signature and means you have read and understood MEETUP.com's "Terms of Service : Section 6.2 " found HERE (http://www.meetup.com/terms/) and NOVA-CBG's "Assumption of Risk Agreement" found HERE (http://files.meetup.com/1557670/NOVA-CBG_WAIVER.pdf).
Remember that helmets are required to participate in all NOVA-CBG rides. NO Helmet, NO ride, NO exceptions. All riders ride at their own risk and with the understanding that cycling is an inherently dangerous activity. When coming to the meetup you do so voluntarily and are ready and able to participate in the ride as described under the conditions of the day.
Be on time for the "pre-ride" preparation. This is when we check to make sure you have all the required equipment and the last chance for you to make sure your bike is ready for the ride. We will also talk through the route for the day and review basic safety instruction for group riding as well as other important topics. If you do not attend the pre-ride preparation, you will not be allowed to participate on the ride, so please be on time as there will be NO exceptions. Please also keep in mind the group's cancellation policy when you RSVP.