addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
William S.
user 3642140
Ashburn, VA

As the NoVA Ruby MeetUp is just over a week old, I wanted to welcome everyone. I look forward to meeting those of you who I dont know and thank you to everyone for joining. In an effort to plan our first meetup, I have posted a poll trying to guage interest in location. I have been thinking somewhere in the Reston area may make sense. Please take the time to either vote or send me your thoughts via email.

http://ruby.meetup.co...­

Thanks,
Bill
A former member
Post #: 1
What about doing Indian buffet in Ashburn. It is easy to deal with the bill and there is not a problem figuring out what to order:

Banjara Indian Cuisine
(Ashburn Village)
44050 Ashburn Shop Plz
Ashburn, VA 20147
(703) 723-0040

Buffet Timings:
Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 3:00pm
A former member
Post #: 1
Ashburn's fine with me - I work in Sterling (for the moment!).
Todd
user 2803839
Culpeper, VA
Post #: 8
I'm located in Reston, but I would be happy to drive to Ashburn or Sterling for a RoR meetup.

In regards to an exact location, a venue could range from a member's home, meeting halls, the public library, a restaurant, etc. I would expect that what we want to do in the meetup will somewhat dictate where we meet.

Not to be overly analytical, I would think there are some things the group might want in the meetups. Some of the things we may want might include one or more of the following:

1. Relaxed atmosphere for people to meet and talk freely
2. Ability to break off into smaller group discussions (formal / informal)
3. Web access and computers (laptops / desktops)
4. Food & Drink (meal or snack)
5. 'Hello World' Demonstrations (member lead to introduce those new to Ruby / RoR)
6. Advanced Demonstrations (member lead on a particular topic such as the RoR testing framework)
7. Quiteness of Venue (depends on 1-6)
8. Other social activities

I'm not saying the group should be all these things. Bill, I would think that you and the group would decide what this meetup will become, but I personally would be estatic if the group tried to incorporate many of these qualities into the meetups... I sense another poll might be around the corner :-)

For the first meetup, I would say keep it simple, but an idea of the overall direction of the meetup might be in order as the group moves forward.

Just my thoughts!

Thanks,

Todd
William S.
user 3642140
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 2
Indian in Ashburn sounds great! I was thinking a "meet & greet" might be a good ice breaker event. Lunch buffet might be a good way to do that. But if the group is interested in Dinner that would work for me as well.

How does everyone's time look like in the next week or two?

Bill
Todd
user 2803839
Culpeper, VA
Post #: 9
A lunch get-together sometime during the week sounds like a great way to meet everyone. An Indian lunch buffet is definitely a developer's power lunch, so count me in!

I'm unavailable this week, but can meet for lunch any day next week Monday to Friday. :-)

Whatever it is you are feeling is a perfect reflection of what is in the process of becoming

William S.
user 3642140
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 3
How does everyone feel about next Thursday for getting together for lunch? Who can make it? I will tentatively put something on the calendar to block the time.