Location visible to members
A special guest from the Sex Worker Outreach Project (SWOP) will educate us about the sex workers' rights movement. Topics to be covered include:
1) Sex worker's rights issues in general.
2) The divide between "pro-sex feminists" -- who, among other things, are sympathetic to the sex workers' rights movement -- and other feminists who are at odds with it.
3) "Human trafficking" -- how big a problem is it? It's a real problem, but there is controversy over its extent and significance as far as sex work in general is concerned.
4) The religious right wing's misuses of the "human trafficking" issue.
5) Brainstorming small but significant things that we, as a small multi-issue activist group, can do to help the sex workers' rights movement.
Note: This meeting is on a Tuesday, rather than our usual Thursday.
Location and how to find us: We'll be meeting at a Chinese restaurant on 7th Avenue, near Rockefeller Center. (The exact address, and other details, will be visible to you once you join this Meetup group.) The nearest subway stop is 49th Street on the N, R, and W lines (7th Avenue). Other nearby subway stops are 50th Street on the 1 line (Broadway), 50th Street on the E and C lines (8th Avenue), 47th to 50th Street on the B, D, F, and V lines (6th Avenue), and 7th Avenue on the B, D, and E lines (53rd Street). For those coming from outside the city, Pearls is also approximately a 15-minute walk from Penn Station and approximately a 10-minute walk from Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Ask a waiter for "New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry."
We'll be at a table in the UPSTAIRS part of the restaurant. There will be some NYARBB literature on the table.