addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York Backpackers Message Board › 4 day canoe camping or backpacking trip after black fly season?

4 day canoe camping or backpacking trip after black fly season?

A former member
Post #: 2
SSSSSSSTTTTTTTIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL­ looking for a person or a few people to do a canoe camping trip after the worst of the black fly season is over. I was thinking Lows Lake. I have my favorite camping spot which should be available if we go on a Thursday. Not looking to bust out miles and miles of hiking. Basically want to do a chilled camping trip in the backcountry with reasonable hikes and wandering and exploring during the day. Think car camping in the backcountry! Don't get me wrong, I love to hike - I'm just not the mileage machine a lot of you guys seem to be. I don't know why I am not getting replies to this it's driving me a little f'in bonkers! If we meet and hit it off with we can plan a more substantial canoe trip - like Algonquin or Temagami.
Jay
speedny
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 23
hey Tim,

How about labor day w/e?
A former member
Post #: 3
Sounds good - I can go then too. Hopefully I'll have been on 3 or 4 Adirondack trips before Labor Day!
A former member
Post #: 4
I also usually take a week off the first week of October to be in the High Peaks when the fall color is at it's peak - I have been doing this for 20 years too - but the last 5 or 6 years it has rained there EVERY DAY during the first week of October. It has gotten so demoralizing that I may try using that week to go somewhere else - somewhere even better - if I can find one or two other people to join me.

Last year I tried to arrange a backpacking trip into the heart of the Glacier National Park. Nobody stepped forward. Seems like my life story!
A former member
Post #: 5
So I'll have this discussion with myself.

A little story:

A few years ago I wanted to take the leap from 3 season backpacking to backpacking in winter.

But I had nobody to go with.

So I posted a message on the adkforum and somebody took a chance on me -

and in the following years we went on about 16 trips together.

I don't know what is keeping this discussion from gaining traction, I can only guess that I am a stranger...or maybe people can't get 4 days off at a pop - surely somebody can.

It would be great to meet dozens of cool people for trips but I'd be happy to meet one or two really nice, sharp, enthusiastic people for future trips.

It is almost a third away through May, one of my favorite months, and I'm looking at the prospect of NOT getting out due to having noone to go with.

This sucks!

This is a call out for a few brave souls to take a chance that I'm not a weirdo and spend time in paradise in upstate New York in what will probably be spectacular, bug-less weather!
A former member
Post #: 6
Four day canoe camping or backpacking trip in the Adirondacks when the black fly season dies down anyone?
A former member
Post #: 7
kaw kaw 4 day canoe camping trip anyone? kaw kaw

Jesus Christ.