addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Social Adventures For All (BBQ Lovers, Social & Outdoors) Message Board › New Meetup: 2009 Battle of the BBQ Brethren

New Meetup: 2009 Battle of the BBQ Brethren

Closed to new replies

A former member
Announcing a new Meetup for The New York BBQ Lovers Meetup Group!

What: 2009 Battle of the BBQ Brethren

When: October 23, 2009 11:00 AM

Sayville Fall Festival
Gilette Park
Sayville, NY 11782

The 3rd annual KCBS Sanctioned New York State BBQ Championship
October 23th to 25th, 2009 at the Sayville Fall Festival
Venue to be in Sayville, New York

More information to follow

Kansas City Barbecue Society
New York State BBQ Championship

Learn more here:­
A former member
Post #: 1
will be there, I am judging
A former member
Post #: 46
Please post your interest in heading out as a group en masse, to Sayville for the 2009 Battle of the BBQ Brethren, being held at Gilette Park.

A former member
Post #: 24
I could go with a group on Sunday 10/25/09. Let me know if there is any interest.

How far out is Sayville? It may be faster for me to drive from my apt.
user 5012563
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Sayville is 55 miles from Penn Station.... you can walk from the train station, it is less then a mile ...

real nice South Shore Long Island Town
A former member
Post #: 2
I like the idea and would like a group activity!
A former member
Post #: 6
Sounds great -- I can make it Saturday...

user 8943715
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
I would be into going on sunday perhaps.
A former member
Post #: 38
Sounds like heaven! And I don't have to think enough to figure out how to get there? Pure bliss. Too bad I can't go. Patrick, have fun, and thanks for keeping this Meetup going places.
A former member
Post #: 47
Check the Sayville Fall Festival schedule of events page for more exciting and fun things to do - http://www.sayvillefa...­

Battle of the BBQ Brethren
Presented by RUB BBQ

On Saturday, Oct. 24th, the Sayville Fall Festival will be hosting a Grilling competition. The teams will be putting their unique touches on Sabrett hot dogs which will be turned in to the judges at 1:00pm.
Later on in the afternoon the judges will be visiting the competitor’s sites in groups of six. Called ‘on site judging, the teams will be creating an entrée and either a dessert or an appetizer. Their meals must have a unifying regional theme (such as German, Chinese, Mexican or Pacific North West) and the competitors will be free to regale the judges with tales of their grilling exploits.

On Sunday, Oct. 25th, the teams will be competing for the title of NY State Champion in a traditional ‘low and slow’ BBQ competition. Starting at noon, food will be turned in at half hour intervals. Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket will be evaluated by the judges and overseen by representatives of the Kansas City BBQ Society.

BBQ All-Stars
The teams will have an option to make a donation to Breast Cancer Help of Bay Shore (the partner charity of the BBQ Brethren). If they do so, they will be eligible to compete in the BBQ All-Stars competition. This event will include Chicken and Ribs and will be judged by a panel of celebrities.

Empire State Series Championship
The Battle of the BBQ Brethren is the final competition in the Empire State series. Comprised of the best BBQ competitions in New York over the course of the 2009 series, the team that has competed in at least four of the seven events and has the highest aggregate score will be named the Empire State BBQ Champion and will receive cash and prizes at the awards ceremony at the Sayville Fall Festival.

The Sayville Fall Festival, the host of the NY State BBQ Championships, invites you to join us and bring your best cake, cookies or pie. Winners in each category will receive prizes including a Sayville Gift Certificates. Entering your baked goods is FREE!

- cookies, brownies & bars
- breads, muffins & loaves
- pies, tarts & pastries
- cakes, cakes, cakes

Enter as many categories as you wish.

All entries must be homemade baked goods, using an original recipe.

Each entry should have at least 12 tasting portions.

Drop off entries from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Common Ground, between Candee and Gillette Avenues. Upon drop- off, contestants will need to provide a name and phone number with each entry.
Judging 2 - 3pm, Winners announced at 3:30 p.m. at the Common Ground.

No refrigeration available.

Judging Criteria:
taste (50%)
appearance (25%)
creativity (25%)

Note: All entries will be judged on their merit using a point system.

Prizes will be awarded on Saturday, October 24th at the Common Ground at 3:30 p.m.

Bake-Off winners' names will be announced again at the Judging Ceremony in Gillette Park at the Main Stage at 5 p.m.

Contestants will be notified by phone, if unavailable at the judging ceremony.

Overall Grand Prize Winner: $100.00
1st Place (one for each category) $70.00
2nd Place (one for each category) $50.00
3rd Place (one for each category) $30.00