addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC on Rails Message Board › Collecting Code for Review and Some Ruby Content

Collecting Code for Review and Some Ruby Content

Avi F.
Avi
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hi NYC on Rails!

We've begun planning our April Code Review session and once again need some input from our community. We're looking for projects that need refactoring and we're going to try something new this month and maybe deconstruct, demystify, and explain some popular Gems, Rails components, or core ruby concepts. If there's a project you're working on with some messy code, submit it, we'll all learn from fixing it up a bit. Or if there's a gem or a project that you've always wondered how it works, submit it too. You can either reply to avi+nyc-on-rails@flombaum.com or fill in this form. Since I was emailing you all anyway, figured I'd include some cool Ruby related content. Until next time, let me know if there's anything the NYC on Rails community can do for you.

API-only Rails Apps

If you're building a web service using Rails, maybe the frontend is Backbone or Ember.js, maybe an OS X client, but if it's a frontend-less rails app, check out the new edge guide.

Mass Assignment Vulnerability in Rails

I'm sure you've all seen this already, but github was hacked, there was a commit to the rails repository (yawn) and then everyone got all serious. Make sure to brush up on Rails security and get involved in the debate for how to fix this issue in the future.

VCR Hits 2.0 - Record API Responses in Your Tests

My favorite library for keeping my tests isolated from any API service my environment might use has hit the 2.0 milestone. Check out VCR if you have tests that are connecting to external APIs and stub the responses with ease.

Building Gems Ain't That Hard

At the last code review (we're planning the April one!) I breifly took apart the popular CanCan authorization gem to show how it works. Well, if you're interested in building gems (you should be), this is a great 2 part guide. Also, the RakeRoutes blog is a personal fav (and they even freshly published another article on Gem building with tests).

MicroGem You Say?

If the thought of building out an entire Gem intimidates you, get wet with MicroGem. You can turn a Gist into a gem, it's cool, I promise.

Form Builders Simply Suck

I've hated the Rails form builders for a while, they are sort of a neccessary evil though. Well with SimpleForm they now suck a little less, and even have awesome Twitter Bootstrap support.

Spoiled By ActiveModel

ActiveModel has really spoiled me and I rarely create PORO (plain-old-ruby-objects) without either the Virtus or ActiveAttr gems to give them that AR attribute feel.

Put Your Models on a Diet

Fine, a fat model is better than a fat controller, but that doesn't mean that fat is a good paradigm. Lose some weight by reading how to cut some meat out of your models.

Sponsored Ruby Jobs (learn about sponsoring these newsletters):

Senior Channel Manager at American Express Publishing

At American Express Publishing, Online Technology plays an active role in the business. Senior Channel Managers help make that possible, straddling both worlds of business strategy and technical execution while specializing in a specific brand. The Senior Channel Manager has a deep understanding of internet mechanics, a track record of delivering innovative software solutions at internet speed as well as significant management experience.
Rushaine M.
user 13156343
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Hi

Have you or the rest of NYC on Rails organizers every considered any of these events for future meetups?

1. A paired programming with a mentor, some groups of coders at the same level working on projects together; strengthens coding skills, provides structure into how to start and complete a Rails app, etc.

(1) Project or hack night: a more informal gathering for the group to
work together on projects, to network, and to socialize but impose that coding must occur because most events just turn into networking and don't follow through with their description.

(2) Learn Ruby/Rails sessions - specific topics can be covered by various speakers, can be considered 101 sessions