addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC Web Design Meetup Message Board › The computer business is still sinking.

The computer business is still sinking.

A former member
Post #: 3
On Friday 01/29/05 was by the Union Square area. I stopped in to the Strand Book Store to browse for some computer books. I remember When the Dot Com boom was in full swing the computer book section took up almost one 1/4 of the basement, and the books commanded premium prices. The Computer Book section is now down to just 5 little shelves out of the whole entire basement. They only had a few books related to web design and I bought 2 of them. The rest of the books were devoted to languages or applications that most people don't use anymore anyway. The selection of computer books at Barnes & Nobles in Union Square & at 5th and 18th Street is also in decline. Did anybody else notice this sad fact? sad
dizzan
dizzan57
New York, NY
Post #: 1
You know, there was a lot of crap out there too!
Quality books are hard to come by and an expensive
endevour by trial and error. visit the library better yet
the online library. Its just as fun as browsing amazon and
a fraction of the price (gotta figure late fees). I can put
10 books in my cart with queens pub lib. and ship it to my local
branch. Its like christmas year round.

ps. I think queens and brooklyn have book cover images on thier
site. the library website is the best kept secret.

-dizzan
Noreen W.
Noreen
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Yes. I noticed the same thing on the B&N Bwy at 82nd. Used to be a full aisle of web design books. Now just a few shelves on the aisle and a lot in the bargain books area. On the other hand a lot of us web savvy folks have wised up to the same day delivery at bn.com. Perhaps that is the answer?

BTW, I'm going to check out the library website. That sounds like a great idea!

Noreen