addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYC Web Design Meetup Message Board › Regarding Group Organization

Regarding Group Organization

A former member
Dear NYC Web Design Meetup Group Member:

Just a quick note to let you know that I'm throwing my hat in the ring to become the new Group Organizer. I would like your support if you're seriously interested in making the group happen going forward. We need to develop some new ideas together to generate sustainable attendance, enthusiasm, and fruitfulness.

I have seven years of professional experience in the field. I managed to survive the dot-com bust. I'm currently employed as a senior designer at an interactive marketing agency in lower Manhattan. I do both print and web graphic design, but am also technically adept with front-end programming. Web design is very much an even marriage of the technical and creative, left brain and right, and I think our group should be about exploring both sides.

I've noticed that the Meetups for this group have occurred only sporadically of late. I have a real passion for creativity, and would like a chance to find creative ways to spark this group into becoming something stimulating and useful to everyone involved.

Please feel free to write me with suggestions, ideas, etc.

cheers,
Tom McDonald
A former member
Post #: 1
When would you suggest the next meeting?
A former member
Post #: 7
thanks for taking the role as organizer dude. if you need any help...let me know...

topics of discussion that are making it big in the web design industry that we should definitly talk about are:

-web standards, css, xhtml, xml, php
-information architecture, web usability
-layout techniques
-accessibility
-typography on the web
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Tom...
I'm available to helpout with the group.
I do have one request...Can we meet at a venue that is accessible for a wheelchair?
I'd like to see some focus on web accessibility, graphics optimization for the web, CSS.
Thanks,
John
Noreen W.
Noreen
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Tom,

I appreciate your call for ideas about meetups. I represent the older web
professionals and am usually too busy putting kids to bed in the evening to
go to the many mid-week/after-hours bar sessions that the various web design
groups host in the city. I'd like to see more lunch hour and coffee break
sessions, as well as developing collaborative thinking & working
relationships among members.

BTW, I am a freelance designer and work with the Municipal Art Society
(www.myciti.org) and the American Museum of Natural History
(www.whysel.com/atol - in progress). I was a web operations manager at
Pricewaterhouse Coopers for four years, a freelance web consultant for two
years before then, and did real estate research for a number of years prior
to that.

I am a member of AIfIA.org, GISMO (a NYC GIS user group), and take a lot of
online classes at IWAGUILD.org.

Noreen Whysel
www.whysel.com
A former member
Post #: 15
Precia, Ryan, John, Noreen, and whoever else is reading,

Feedback appreciated. So far I've left the next meeting as previously scheduled, which is at the 88 Orchard Street cafe in Manhattan on Jan. 13 at 7PM. I do belive it is wheelchair accessible, but I'll confirm. However, as I was trying to make clear before, the most important thing is having a good group show up (and consistently), and I'm open to changing the place and time in order to achieve that. Noreen suggested alternative meeting arrangements like lunch hours and coffee breaks. I think this is a good idea going forward, but depends of course on our respective daytime locations. We should also be able to arrange for virtual attendance via IM or such if we are at a wireless accessible location.

For now, could everyone shoot me an individual message with info on which NYC areas and times would be most ideal for you, and I'll try to come up with a group meeting solution for next time that will work.

cheers,
Tom
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Tom,
I called the 88 Orchard Street cafe and asked if they are accessible for a wheelchair. They have told me that they are not accessible. They have steps entering the cafe. I asked if there is any way I can get in and they told me it is not possible.
Can we meet at another location?
Thanks,
John

Precia, Ryan, John, Noreen, and whoever else is reading,

Feedback appreciated. So far I've left the next meeting as previously scheduled, which is at the 88 Orchard Street cafe in Manhattan on Jan. 13 at 7PM. I do belive it is wheelchair accessible, but I'll confirm. However, as I was trying to make clear before, the most important thing is having a good group show up (and consistently), and I'm open to changing the place and time in order to achieve that. Noreen suggested alternative meeting arrangements like lunch hours and coffee breaks. I think this is a good idea going forward, but depends of course on our respective daytime locations. We should also be able to arrange for virtual attendance via IM or such if we are at a wireless accessible location.

For now, could everyone shoot me an individual message with info on which NYC areas and times would be most ideal for you, and I'll try to come up with a group meeting solution for next time that will work.

cheers,
Tom

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Tom,
I called the 88 Orchard Street cafe and asked if they are accessible for a wheelchair. They have told me that they are not accessible. They have steps entering the cafe. I asked if there is any way I can get in and they told me it is not possible.
Thanks,
John
------------------------------------

John, do you have any suggestions in the same are that is wheelchair accessible? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to move it to a place that a block or 2 away.
A former member
Post #: 16
Group FYI:

So far I've gotten 10 e-mails back regarding my e-mailed question about what areas and times are best for you. I'm surprised that out of 235 listed members I haven't gotten more responses. Perhaps this is a bulk mail filtering issue?

A group of ten would be great anyhow. I will look at the responses I have so far and come up with a new meeting time and location soon.

cheers & happy holidays,

Tom
A former member
Post #: 10
Hi Tom,
Thanks,
John
------------------------------------

John, do you have any suggestions in the same are that is wheelchair accessible? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to move it to a place that a block or 2 away.

Hi...
Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for an alternate venue. I am not that familiar with the area.
I am open to any suggestions...Basically the only thing the I need is a location without steps...in other word an entrance that is either flat or has a ramp...
Thanks,
John