addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York City Hebrew Language Meetup Group Message Board › Hebrew Meetup Policies and Member Responsibilites

Hebrew Meetup Policies and Member Responsibilites

Kaaron
Item One:

A fair amount of work, planning and sometimes inconvenience go into creating events. I ask in return that you show up and have a good time. However, I also require a bit of respect toward the Hebrew Meetup and its members.

• The RSVPs are taken very seriously. If you respond "yes" for an event, the organizers, the other members who sign up for the event and the management of any facility we are utilizing are EXCPECTING and COUNTING on you being there.

• As long as an event is accepting "yes" responses you may sign up, even within less than 24 hours in advance. This "yes" response becomes a commitment to attend.

• If you need to change a "yes" response to "no", it is REQUIRED to be changed by the RSVP deadline of the event.

• If an event is Full or Closed OR you have not responded for an event, OR if you responded "no" do not just show up; you might very well be asked to leave.

• "Maybe" responses are wonderful for holding a spot way in advance of an event. However, there are only two real possibilities: either you will be at an event, or you will not be at an event.

Therefore, you are REQUIRED to update your "Maybe" response by the RSVP deadline for the event. "Maybe" responses not updated will be removed.

• Of course, life happens. We cannot predict every emergency -- that is why they are called emergencies. If something comes up after the RSVP deadline that makes it impossible for you to attend an event after you've RSVP'd "yes", update your RSVP to "no" ASAP and drop me an e-mail letting me know that you had an emergency.

Abusers of these guidelines will be asked NOT to sign up for my events.

I am diligent about showing up to the events I create on your behalf. I am diligent about sending out reminders. It is your responsibility as a Hebrew Language Meetup member to be diligent about following through on these reminders, updating your RSVPs, treating your RSVPs as the commitments they are, and respecting the Hebrew Meetup policies.

Here's to many wonderful shared future Hebrew Language Meetup events.

_____
    Item Two:

1) The Hebrew meetup is not exclusively a kosher meetup.*

2) The Hebrew meetup does not exclusively observe Shabbat.*

3) The Hebrew meetup is not exclusively a vegetarian meetup.**

4) Each participant is asked to order a full meal at events held in restaurants.***

*Most of the events will be in kosher venues and not on Shabbat BUT please be aware that some events will be held in not-certified-kosher venues and either on the Sabbath proper or relatively early on motzei Shabbat.

Please just choose the events that suit your personal tastes.

**That said, I do not personally keep the laws of kashrut BUT it's worse than that -- I'm vegan. I will not be planning events in meat-serving venues when at all feasible. The other Assistant Organizer, and the main Organizer might plan events in meat-serving venues.

***In order to maintain our good name with restaurants' management, we cannot take up space in their business without ordering a full meal. Expect restaurant events to come to a minimum of $10 per event.

For your convenience, usually a link is posted to the menu of each restaurant in which a meetup is held. Please peruse the menu before signing up and make sure this is the type of restaurant in which you will be able to order a meal. If it is not, please wait until a different event which is more to your liking is posted.

For the most-part, please think of the events I plan as the kosher vegetarian branch of the Hebrew meetup.

If you are neither vegetarian nor kosher, but have an open mind regarding these issues, I invite all members to sign up for, and eat up at, my vegetarian/kosher events.

A few words about the Hebrew levels as delineated in event descriptions.

1) Beginner-specific meetups have been suspended. I highly recommend the "All level" events for beginners.

2) There are several different events usually posted at which anyone of any level of Hebrew is welcome.

3) Advanced/Native Hebrew speaker events are specifically for those who already have a fairly high proficiency and fluency and are comfortable just talking in Hebrew, not necessarily "practicing" Hebrew.

The Advanced and Native Hebrew Speakers events are NOT for those who are intermediate and would like to have a chance to practice at a higher level. Please keep this in mind when bringing guests to an event as well.

For those who would like to have a chance to mix with people with a higher level of Hebrew than their own, I recommend the once-a-month American Health Bar event and any of the other events described as "for all levels."

These events are indeed for all levels and native Hebrew speakers do attend these events. If you are looking for someone to help you improve from intermediate to advanced, the "for all level" events are the right place for you.

The "for all level" events are also appropriate for beginners looking to improve their Hebrew or native speakers who either like to help others improve their Hebrew or want to find other native Hebrew speakers to talk to. We get people of all levels with all different goals at the "for all level" events.

The Advanced and Native Hebrew Speaker events are exactly that, for Advanced and Native Hebrew Speakers.

Kol tuv, Kaaron/Keren, Sgan Me'ar'genent
  • FWM
    user 6792202
    Suffern, NY
    Post #: 16
    I can only talk about ME about this but maybe others feel the same way
    I am told that my writing sounds cold or angry, so please DO NOT take it that way, I am speaking my thoughts comely, not yelling.

I could have gone to the meetup in central park today.
    frankly I was turned off by your attitude. I DO respect the amount of work you do. I do not respect all the secrecy about where you will be and not being able to show up without saying yes.
    if it is about security, it would take 10 minuets for an arab to make up a fake identity and get all the info and be there any way.

I thought it was supposed to be fun? even though I was born in Israel (came to the usa at the age of 9 in '71), I never served in the military and I do not intend on starting now. in my life, I have last minute things come up at any moment, so I can NOT say yes until that day.

I am trying to be constructive by standing up and saying something about it. I maybe wrong, but maybe I am the one to actually do something about the way others might also feel. maybe others did not say YES for the same reason? if we do not even talk about it, we will never know.

sincerely, thank you for your efforts
    Moshe

Kaaron
    Kaaronds
    Long Island City, NY
    Post #: 170
    Never saw this till today, several years after you posted. No, it's not about security, there is a limit on how many people can meet in a public place without a permit which costs, I believe $25, or a fine. Not sure how much the fine is. I am Glad that I discourage people who cannot commit in advance. Like yourself, not to sound rude, you are exactly the type of person I am trying to dissuade from signing up for any event I host. I would rather have no one sign up than those who cannot or will not commit. If no one signs up, I am free to take care of other things with that time instead of waiting for people who aren't going to arrive. If the event does go forward, members who CAN commit are not left out of the event due to someone who took a spot but did not show up. I consider eliminating those who cannot commit to attending a win-win situation for myself and for the meetup as a whole. It is my understanding that BigHorse is much more lenient and laid-back about such things so I highly recommend you focus on the events he post.

Thank you for your comments.