addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York Permaculture Meetup Message Board About Us and Monthly Bulletin › Suggest activities you want to do with others here!

Suggest activities you want to do with others here!

Alice U.
truelifenow
Kew Gardens, NY
Post #: 34
Chances that you'll get what you want go up dramatically ... when you ask!

You're invited to sound-off here.

Learn. Play. Practice.
Plan. Grow. Build.
together!

No idea is too small or too large.

Is there a book you want to read and digest with other people in a book club?
Do you want to get together in someone's kitchen and experiment with making herbal soaps and shampoos; kombucha or sauerkraut?
Do you want to take a field trip together to a Botanical Garden? to museum exhibit?
Get together for karaoke?!

... Get together to plan a NYC Permaculture Convergence that links permaculture-explicit orgs and projects with permaculture-aligned movements and orgs city-wide? [this one's one of my favorites.]
... Call a city-wide open space strategy weekend (or series of meetings) to do full-on social/org 'landscape assessment' for NYC to identify large scale leverage points?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello! I am Wenting. I go to one of the monthly meeting this month. Happy Birthday again. I have couple ideas to share.
remember in the monthly meeting, I was talking about a practical handy workshops for people who have no experience in fixing and making things? I am wondering how and where I can talk with you to make that happen next year? Also, I have ideas about hosting a book discussions to question and increase awareness of our current lifestyle to others, and host a free outdoor Yoga workshop next year because I was a Yoga instructor. I hope I can hear from you soon! Thanks!
Tiffany
TiffanyT
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 144
Hi Wenting,

We're always looking for more people to host an event! If you want to do a book discussion, make an "Event Suggestion" on the home page. smile Same thing for the yoga class; I think that would be a great community-building and consciousness-raising activity. However, you may want to wait until it gets warmer if you want to that outside!

For all you handy people that know how to fix things, please respond here so we can make this workshop happen!

I'm looking forward to a very active year in 2014.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Tiffany
A former member
Post #: 2
Dear Tiffany:

Thank you for your Merry Christmas wishes. Happy Holiday to you too.

For the fixing things workshop, I do not know many handy people, and they are not mine. I only met Ian Scott, the elder man I bring to the monthly meeting. Hope there is workshop soon, with your organization help to ensure a location.

I don't mind to do my book discussion, yoga class, outside or inside. As long as, there is a location being offer for me. I cannot wait to make an "Even Suggestion" on the home page. I don't know how hard for you to get a location to make things happen? Or we can come out and talk more in details.

Wish you happy holiday!

Than you for your time,

Sincerely,

Wenting Chen

Matthew
Tribalwind
Baldwin, NY
Post #: 63
i have a list of projects i need to get done before spring, and others that can wait.
the largest two pre-spring items are
1.) a garden-tool/potting shed made mostly from salvaged pallets,local tree waste(logs that i've chainsaw-milled into lumber) and recycled billboard tarp for roof membrane)

2). a passive-solar/composting greenhouse. i've salvaged twin-wall poly panels for the glazing already,and have most other materials and soem designs i made to work from,but its not a 1-person job. i'd say 2 experienced builders minimum plus any helpers that wish to join. here is a non-detailed 3d sketch i made,based on new-alchemy-institutes design.
https://www.facebook....­
there are links to more detailed info in the photo comments.

I'd like to host and offer more workshops this year,in addition to the monthly potlucks i've done for the past 2.
Wenting, i can host and/or lead some DIY fixit type gathering in my home woodshop. it can be a bit cold in winter as it is a detached garage ,i do have a wood-stove for it,that eneds to be re-installed..my hope was to install a rocket mass-heater in there,that project never materialized. perhaps it can if a group was interested and could coordinate a few days.
not being in the city, some may have trouble getting here. carpools are good,or the LIRR train station is a few short blocks ,10min walk. 35minute train from penn-station.

i also may have a chance to design and put in a small public forest-garden park here in Baldwin,
i'm working with fellow members adn chairpersons of our civic association and our new democratic nassau county legislator. hopefully we can make this a reality! if so i will try to get more permies involved :)
tomorrow night is our next big membership meeting at the highschool. fingers crossed!!!