addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NYLUG - New York Linux Users Group Message Board › Summary up for the next workshop on Terminal Workflows

Summary up for the next workshop on Terminal Workflows

James M.
user 47213362
New York, NY
Hey Guys,

It's only been two weeks since the last workshop. For those of you who attended the workshop on Terminal Workflows - I hope you've been practicing getting around a terminal because this week we're going to take it to the next level.

Often when you're knee-deep in dread, you'll be working with  files from all over the filesystem. If you're developing a web application, you'll often have a REPL for your DB, a REPL for your interpreter, a tool for sending and receiving requests, a file viewer and a text editor opening files from all over the filesystem and that's without mentioning other tools like IRC, mail clients and a music player. What happens when you leave your workstation? Can you take this session with you or do you have to boot the whole thing up again on another computer?

The next workshop is going to focus on two tools that are the work-horses of terminal-based development: Vim and tmux. I'll be assuming you've used a terminal and Vim before. We'll be running through configuration and advanced workflows. Check out the topic summary available now at http://jamesmeldrum.github.com/TerminalWorkflows/lesson_two.html­ to see if it's right for you. By Tuesday I'll have the topics fleshed out with notes you can keep for later. All workshop notes are posted to http://jamesmeldrum.g...­ for you to reference.

Based on feedback from the previous session, I'll be working through all the examples on the TV rather than the informal workshop style we used last meeting.

As usual, it's free and flossy. Come along.

Best,

James Meldrum
NYLUG Workshop co-ordinator.